Hempcrete

5 Likes

Had some friends build an off grid house out of it cause it was their dream . It turned out pretty cool but it was extremely labor intensive to make and rather costly after it was all finished. Took them multiple years to finish for a rather small off grid house . It was cool when finished but they had to jump through a lot of hoops to make it happen . They also did it totally off grid with budget constraints . It was expensive and hard for them to find the Hurd it was being sold as a replacement for traditional animal bedding for barns, coops , and etc. this was even in Oregon where you would think it would be easy to source back when hemp was even bigger and really blowing up

2 Likes

3D printed hemp programs are happening…

I’m just watching in envy :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

20 years ago I helped build a rather large house in the applaichain mountains using hempcrete as the insulation. Ive always been curious if its still there and how much carbon its soaked up by now. Havent seen many others ever attempt it. Was fairly easy paperwork wise then. I’ve also read about it being done out here in Hawaii before.

I’d really like to see it integrated into road technology. Im surprised with the single use plastic bans slowly making their way to every state and other countries if anyone will adapt a disposable hemp polymer to replace traditional plastic anytime soon. I think thats where the big money is at.

If I remember correctly maintaining roads and paving them is far more carbon and co2 emissions then the actual cars that are driving on them. I saw a more costly version of asphalt with hempcrete used ages ago that would at least be more environmentally viable long term.

4 Likes

Any papers on hemp polymers are welcome :grin:

4 Likes

Let’s talk. There is a production close to the farm.

1 Like

I always thought that the hard part of making hemp plastic was the resins to hold it together.

1 Like

The proven formula for success sure is definitely the missing piece. Definitely some nice shares on here for options. Personally I see OSB before I see more hempcrete. Followed by more refined plastics and printing. Hempcrete 3D printing & hemp plastic 3D printing are staring us all down.

I would love to see all the spent biomass I create go to building my next home…

built using supersacks?

2 Likes

I know a few research scientists that work on corn polymers. We are talking big time University grant type team and lab, they have a polymer SOP for a soap dispersant that it like worth millions appon millions. I have a feeling they are going to be highly guarded.

1 Like

Hemp plastics are currently way too expensive for 99.9% of use cases, whether you’re going full bioplastic or just using hurd as a replacement for talc/calcium carbonate filler. There’s probably been a 50% drop in industrial hemp cultivation from last year in the US, so it’s hard to get enough feedstock to make anything in bulk, much less filling orders for one of the world’s highest volume industries.

Just start playing with hempcrete and hemp-lime plaster, it’s straightforward and cheap to test. And when you git gud don’t worry about saturation - there can be one hempcrete contractor/builder every 40 miles and you’ll likely never step on each other’s toes.

For hempcrete start out using a European brand of hurd like Kanabat or Dun Agro - the Dutch and French processing standards are way higher than the US, at least until we start getting real processing facilities built out.

7 Likes

One of these

Wil be placed and I would like to process the
End products of this unit to higher valeu products
Reason I started this tread

2 Likes

Someone in Europe is buying one of those? I’ve never seen one work…

1 Like

Africa !

3 Likes

Here’s the first permitted Hempcrete Building in Michigan we just finished this weekend. Spray applied with Kannabat. The only US made hurd that has reached a building grade so far that I have seen are from South Bend Hemp in Kansas or Tiger Fiber in Missouri

12 Likes

And the lime binder is really the critical component. You want to use a hydrated lime mixed with some hydraulic lime + a pozzolan mix to help with consistency and dry time. But there is probably going to be a whole market for this people developing proprietary binders and selling them pre mixed with hurd bags like quickcrete.

Dun Agro is also planning to set up a pre fabricated building material facility in Indiana next year. It will be interesting to see how it does though because so far the European genetics have been hit or miss here in the states… and I’ve heard a lot of funny business around Albert Dun lol

No waterproofing necessary! Hempcrete will passively regulate humidity, and its super high pH from the lime makes it extremely mold resistant. So you’d actually want to use a breathable plaster, like something earthen, clay plasters and lime washes are pretty popular.
IMG_4153 Small

11 Likes

Where’s it at? I wanna see!

1 Like

Awesome! I met Kim and Stephanie at an event last year in PA, great to see them doing well. Did you use an Ereasy machine to spray?

1 Like

Yeah Kim and Stephanie are great and they did an awesome job getting this together and we did use the Ereasy, Cameron was out there as well leading the team! The Ereasy is definitely awesome and a great tool but at the end of the day its really a first generation machine.
I will be very excited to see what kind of innovation comes from the application side. I would imagine the mixes and additives will vary widely which will make things interesting from a permitting and performance standpoint.
Hemp Lime in the ratios that are used for spray, and cast in place, have a few years of performance testing and plenty of case studies and is already into the ICC code which makes it easy to get them permitted usually. Where as the 3d printer will need an entirely different ratio/hurd size plus probably much more additives, so I wonder how that will sustain the great performance properties hemp crete has, also its low environmental impact and ability to get signed off on with an engineer or city permit? Just going to be an interesting ride getting into the mainstream of the construction industry lol

Its in Chelsea Michigan, the first house in this community development → https://neighborwood.us/

5 Likes

Super random, but I was reading more into Dun Agro’s Dutch structures today and remembered your post from months back. What is the funny business re: Dun?