Hemp-Based Batteries to Be Manufactured in Wisconsin : CEG

Interesting.

We’ll see how this works out with EV demand dropping and prices for battery metals (lithium, cobalt, nickel) expected to continue to significantly drop as new sources hit the already saturated markets.

Also, we are a long way off from being able to utilize significant battery capacity in grid storage.

Aflac :duck::duck::duck::duck:

Smoking gun

That’s pretty fucking funny

I’m beginning to catch the same whiff of stench of corruption we got to smell from the Obama administration $80 billion solar panel scam “Solyndra”.

3 Likes

So much for wishful thinking.

Sure, but I don’t see anyone working on it, any big money investing in it – maybe there is and I simply haven’t seen it but they’re keeping a very low profile if that’s the case. I think I saw one thread here about a paper mill trying to open up and that’s it.

1 Like

Quite a few reasons:

• Genetics. We don’t know what grows best where, and genetic development itself is in the very nascent stages. For context it took us like 80 years to fully develop soybeans - hemp will probably take 10-20 more to fully master.
  • Choosing the wrong use case. When you look at those huge maps of the “thousands of uses” for hemp, yes, technically you can use hemp for all of those things. But it’s not the best plant to use for at least 2/3rds of those uses. Flax is another plant we need to bring back at a large scale.
  • Use case business congruity. It probably sounds great to get a deal to supply Patagonia/etc for their clothes, or an auto co for their interiors, right? Until you realize you won’t make anything close to a profit at their quotas and pricing. Want to make clothes on a medium scale yourself? Ok, it costs $25M minimum for a mill that can work with hemp - to compete in a market with razor thin margins already.
  • Equipment. Most decortication/etc equipment is retrofitted from non-hemp equipment and/or is complete undeveloped trash. Most founders don’t have the cash to invest in new custom equipment, and the few competent equipment cos don’t have reliable manufacturing partners.

There are legit uses that are being successfully commercialized, but every step of the supply chain has to be developed along with that. So it’ll continue to grow slow & steady, and those who stick it out and don’t chase shiny objects will be rewarded.

1 Like

Look forward to use it on vape industry someday.

I appreciate the shredding this apart so quickly. Honestly. Once the name was posted you hopped on it and found a very real discrepancy.

2 Likes

I can’t say much cause I’m under nda but y’all are missing a step here.

1 Like