Help speed up my recovery

So here my idea i will get the eco 633 and place it in a old school BVV Purge pot I have filled with ISO or Denatured alcohol and drill some holes for the hoses to come out the lid. Ill then put that into essentially into a small ice chest and have it sit in the center of a big dry ice pocket.

I wonder how that lexan lid will hold up to dry ice? maybe ill figure out something else for the lid

1 Like

I would do this: pump in pot in slurry, pump outlet goes to coil directly in slurry, that goes to jacket, and then back to your pot

1 Like

Update: I did improve my recovery slightly but had a hiccup when the new guy over loaded Ice into the Pump with Iso to the Tank. When that happened the Ends of the lines froze Over and eventually Clogged the Out line with ICE. I Suspect that I need to Isolate the Lines and Pump more thoroughly so as to avoid any direct contact between the hose and Ice.

At the Vacuum Pull and First few minutes with the wash into the collection spool the entire tank was condensating and got very cold, I could see thru the sight glasses on the solvent tank that everything was running much better and had a much faster flow.

So thanks again to the the OGs that reached out with advice, You are greatly appreciated :pray:

2 Likes

I had the idea last night to try pumping freezing super saline thru a coil submerged in Acetone and dry ice. I plan on testing the idea on Monday and testing the water temp to see if it freezes in the coil or not. If the freezing super saline comes out of the coil at cryo temps then I think I might have found something for the poor man.

1 Like

Almost.

Once you bubble CO2 through it, the solvent gets kinda “fluffy” :shushing_face:

It doesn’t pump as well (although it pushes better than it pulls), nor does it transfer heat as well.

@Dred_pirate’s solution is the better one imo.

3 Likes

I like fluffy

2 Likes

Thats interesting i never considered saline as a possible heat transfer fluid im gonna have to look into that

Any recommendations on how to limit the amount of isopropyl alcohol evaporation in my condenser coil?

I know its been hot recently but im noticing at least a gallon or more gone with in a few days. Im wondering if its gonna be better to use something cheaper for the slurry or if there is a simple way to limit its evaporation.

Will something simple like a piece of insulation to cover the condenser coil work to slow down the evaporation of the alcohol?

Any input is welcome thank you all
Hope you had a good weekend

If you’ve got dry ice in there, you shouldn’t have much evaporation. Insulating so your bath is colder longer should help a little.

When not in use, you might consider pullIng the coil and sealing the container it was in.

Show us what you got…

1 Like

Keeping a lid over it the entire time is a good idea, too.

4 Likes

3 Likes

It takes a long time but I spend zero on ice, dry ice and no chiller or heater :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Ahhh jeeez! oohh man! my grandpa says i shouldn’t go around spouting off about science stuff :grin: Gonna get Scwhifty in here

Im back in the lab tomorrow ill get some pictures on here to appease the giant head in the sky.

1 Like

I still don’t care what anyone says
. I’ve used acetone before

but plain ole denatured alchohol that I reuse and just add some when needed will do the same job(almost) without replacing gaskets.

the main thing is getting the slurry cold first. if have a ir gun itll help. and by recovery(If it cooling the collection) then ur slurry is so cold it’s not even funny

by run 2 the DI doesnt even react and is like adding ice to drink and will make the liquid level rise by displacement.

I just know for the extra 10 degrees it’s not worth it to me. and if u get it as cold as I’m talking and have the ability to place ur tank(small scale) in the slurry then u can slam the gauge to full vac. this really gets the collection boiling

I get at least -60f to -70f. propane being -40f it seems one can only get so cold

I know acetone will exchange the temp faster but small scale or even large scale what we really talking minutes here?

I recover so fast through 1/4" lines I barely have time to take break btw blasting

1 Like

Acetone turned to eco 633 into snot. It started to eat the plastic casing on the pump. Im in ca and can not buy denatured alcohol. Any alternative i can use besides acetone or iso alcohol?

2 Likes

You need to try and run the iso warmer… not at its thickening point. This part is a bitch

1 Like

it has been stated repeatedly that this is the expected result, but thanks for doing the experiment and documenting that.

what you got against isopropanol?

4 Likes

Its 35 per gallon currently for iso acetone and denatured is like 30% cheaper.

I am gonna try to wrap the entire solvent tank in insulation. Would it be a good idea to use a stainless ptfe insulated line for my solvent tank jacket?

I got a temp gun and noticed the temp jumped up a lot (-55f to +45f) in the 3 feet line to the tank. I already have a standard foam insulation wrap from lowes on it currently

On the bright side running that eco 633 with iso in a pot chilled with a dry ice slurry in my jacket cooled the butane down going into the column, crc, and collection vessel

1 Like

?!? denatured is 30% cheaper, but you can’t buy it?
so how is the price relevant?

You really only need to buy it once and deal with the price… it’s the dry ice that is the consumable.

you can use the iso almost indefinitely, it will evaporate some if you don’t cover it, and it may eventually pull in enough water from the atmosphere that you need to distill it, but it is not an item you need to purchase every run.

You only need to throw the acetone out because it ate your pump

methyl-hydrate would work as a HTF, but it’s not particularly good for you (neither is acetone). if you think acetone or isopropanol are expensive go look at HC-50 or some of the silicone based fluids.

it would be a good idea to insulate as much as you can. the stainless provides zero insulation. it provides burst strength. the PTFE is a decent insulator, but that’s not why it’s there…

awesome. so don’t throw the iso out, and your problem is solved?

2 Likes