Help please? Volatiles in hemp extract compromising my vacuum :(

Great the process like a remediation. You can’t get answers unless you physically eliminate the issue.

One good way is by doing a extraction, remove terps or bypass step. So directly to a water wash and use mixed phs and rid the fluids of everything. Begin your process. If that doesn’t solve it then you’ll need to do a coulm effort and start physically stripping. Then try to distill. If your probs are solved you prob has co extracts present.

what’s convoluted about it? It’s standard IPA extraction, double winterization, filtration, decarb (or decarb before winterization), devolatilisation, and SPD. Just like everyone else is doing.
Everything else I have mentioned is just additional processes to elucidate the problem.

The only thing i do different to others is that my biomass is already steam distilled. That’s just the biomass I have to work with. No choice.

That’s what I am working on now. More water washes at various pHs. Not seeing a lot of change. But just did an alkaline hot water separation (separating while >55C) and this caught a lot of gum-like stuff. Hopefully this will help.

What do you mean by this please?

A column/buchner filled with the proper media material for stripping the junk from your resin

1 Like

what media /solvent do you suggest? I am not just after CBD, but all the noids.

Once you winterize and filter out the fats. Throw 4:1 heptane to resin in the solution, then add equal parts water to your mix. This will flush out any sugars you have in there. It’ll probably take care of 70% of your issues. You’ll have to turf/redistill your isopropyl, but it’ll likely fix your stank.

(It’s the LLE as mentioned earlier).

1 Like

Use a cold trap between your decarb reactor and your pump

so extracting in isopropanol, then bringing it back up in heptane might leave the villain stuck to the walls…

ie @tweedledew is on point, but you might not even need the water wash…

1 Like