Help me solve this chemystery problem

Lol if it is thca those end slabs gotta b lameAF for potentcy. Thca will dissolve in butane when its warm.

2 Likes

No head change, buzz, or anything?

2 Likes

How can it be THCa if it doesn’t dissolve in butane?

Because as a solid it takes a lot more effort to dissolve it again.

Anyone here that’s tried to do this with sugar or anything like that in the collection pot. It takes a while for all of the crystals to dissolve. I’ve clogged my pour spout a couple of times with thca from doing this. I doubt its entirely waxes.

9 Likes

I think its thca too. When I used to make crumble and slabs if you took this out it wouldnt make crumble at all or stable shatter. Pretty sure it’s like if u made fudge or rock candy and didn’t add enough sugar u would have similar results.

2 Likes

Isn’t that too hot for pure thca?

Yeah, except the reading on the e-nail control box doesn’t necessarily reflect the temp of the nail during heat up (much closer at equilibrium)…

So I’d say the jury is still out. Probably.

@HashyLarry how quickly did you heat the nail up? Do you think those temps are solid? Can you confirm with IR thermometer?

2 Likes

And like @Dred_pirate asked… did it get you high?

2 Likes

Does the same if u press rosin again.

3 Likes

THCA melting point is 133-136C for standard >97% stuff. Recrystallizing up beyond 99% (real 99%, not instagram “99%”) youre looking at 136-139C. I tell people this and they dont believe me, doesnt matter - thats the truth.

6 Likes

Most of the THCa I have still has 1-2% other stuff in it, likely terps, which would explain my skewed melting point values.

1 Like

It looks exactly like the THCA isolate I made with that tech i shared using crc and cold propane to do a terp strip then butane to strip the cannabinoids. I’m pretty sure you have almost pure thca, sometimes i redissolve nasty bho in my material column to rerun, on top of my filter screen there always ends up being a white powder that tested 90-97% THCA the few times i tried and tested the results.

4 Likes

This was the bottom of my 6" material column, I had a little less then a lb of BHO in there that I was dissolving to rerun through CRC, This stuff tested at 95% THCA after it was all collected, it would of been higher but you can see a decent amount of yellow in clumps.

8 Likes

Lol not as refined but alot less hassle 4 sure. Did this a few yrs back in neg 8 degree temps. I’ve only messed around def dont have your guys equipment and I only do personal so mostly rosin.

Yeah its surprising how far a few percent go in terms of melting points. Honestly, if there is a well corroborated melting point for a compound I’ve always liked using melting point for indicating my purity. The thing that can sometimes skew this is if there are different polymorphs of the same compound. So 99% purity of polymorph A has a different melting point than the same purity compound as polymorph B just because the intermolecular forces (which must be overcome with heat to melt the compound) differ because of their geometry.

5 Likes

Im under the impression that THCa had only 1 polymorph to it’s possible lattice structure. Anyone want to provide contrary evidence?

Do all of the THCa isomers share the same polymorphism?

2 Likes

Undoubtedly different since it isn’t just a stereochemical shift but a complete relocation of a functional group, thereby altering its electrostatic interactions drastically.

3 Likes

You can perform a crystal-flip (change your polymorph) by recrystallizing out of different solvent systems - this is a known technique. In other words, take some pentane crystals and dissolve them entirely in ethanol and recrystallize will result in a different polymorph. My prediction based on my own observations is that crystals from light hydrocarbons (nC3-nC7) differ in polymorph from those yielded in ethanol, for instance. Generally, different solvents will not yield the same polymorph whether because the solubility changes or because of intermolecular forces between solvent/solute etc. I can damn well guarantee you there are multiple THCA-A polymorphs because…well for one I’ve made them and more to the point I have a background in scaling/performing scaled crystallizations.

@Future As for THCA-A vs THCA-B structural isomers, my prediction is they likely have different polymorphs/crystal stuctures on some level and probably difference melting points. The location of the carboxylic acid relative to the phenol influences hydrogen bonding for instance, or overall polarity of the molecule, or bond strain/angles, or electron distribution across the molecule - lest we forget they are in fact different molecules. It would be a real coincidence in my opinion if that change had zero influence on how the molecules stack upon on another in a crystal lattice. I haven’t proven or done with my own hands (I’ve never gotten ahold of considerable quantities of THCA-B and would likely need to synthesize this which I don’t have time/value for currently) - rather, this is a situation where I’m making what I consider a reasonable prediction based on my understanding and experience with crystallization.

22 Likes

Good shit… I’m gonna try growing some 150 proof ethanol crystals and see how it goes. Gonna leave it open to the atmosphere so the ratio of ethanol to water decreases over time resulting in percipitation. Gonna try this with a really dirty batch of crystals and see what happens

9 Likes