Help Growing

I’m a big fan of the Hanna line of products. The pricing and quality are good, but the big seller is the quick cal pouches they sell. I like to do a quick cal once a week, and just about any level of employee can be trained to accurately calibrate a Hanna probe.

2 Likes

I really like 707 mix as well. If anyone wants a really simple and extremely cost friendly plan for organic soil growing DM me.

5 Likes

Fox farm ocean forest bags are 1.5cu’ (12.00 my cost). I just went thru 15 bags last night uppotting my next round.

4 Likes

do you recycle your dirt at all or just use new stuff each pot? That seems like it would be a pain having to haul that many bags of dirt around all the time

I toss the entire rootball/emptied pot in my compost garbage can and set it on the curb.

The time it takes to shake the used “dirt” is not worth the extra 1.5hrs vs just tossing it all away.

2 Likes

makes sense, it’s cool to see how everyone does things differently for their own reasons. I notice the dirt I get out of my root balls is so soft and silky. The plants seem to condition the soil after a while and just make it better. It is a pain in the ass shaking all the dirt out though, I’ll agree on that 100% haha

2 Likes

You must have your uppotting game down to go through that much soil in one night. How’s your back feeling? heh

3 Likes

7 hrs playing in the dirt.

3 Likes

As much as I love gardening and growing, 7 hours of that sounds like hell to me lol.

4 Likes

plus all my other work. And after 6hrs at my lab job

3 Likes

Sounds like my schedule haha

For buying dirt, id honestly get a big ol truck load dropped off and mix in amendments. Get a cement mixer and get a bunch of marked cups so u can just scoop 3 or 4 scoops of dirt in throw in ur amendments and dump into another pile. After youve done that, u just need to keep adding cover crop, compost, hay and work castings. Always make sure ur soil is covered wether it be hay or cover crop.

If u cant get bulk soil, 707 is my go to
Look up dragon fly earth medicine and they have a veg (radiant green) and flower (fat flowers) plant mix that works really well as immune and energy boost.
Use OHN for ur plant immunity and well being.
You can throw all ur extra plant material after a harvest (sticks, stems, fan leaves, etc) into a barrel of water. Close it up and let it sit for 4 months. Then use half gallon of the stinky water per every 75-100 gallons of water

4 Likes

Only pain between Hanna and blue lab is their units don’t take being submerged in water well. Lmao!

Can’t tell you how many of those I returned because they slipped into a resi.

Blue labs come wall mounted if you choose.

4 Likes

I throw the Hanna one in a res and let it float around for 5 mins before I check it, never had a problem.

Lmao! I’m not talking about the probe, I’m talking about the entire handheld unit

1 Like

Oh the base station unit that does EC/TDS/PH?

1 Like

Yes sir! It hates water. Haha! Go figure

3 Likes

yeah that one does not surprise me at all. In all honestly, I’d really like to do a micro controller and inline probes for moisture, ph, and ec. I absolutely love data plots in grows.

1 Like

I agree, I’ve used a growtronix controller specifically for its ability to record hard data like that. It’s garbage as a controller because of the programming done by their engineer. It’s ran on windows software and somehow they kept installing a java script that had an expiration date, so the program would just stop working.

This happened 3 separate times in a few yrs. after the first time I knew not to trust it with big tasks, but as a data logger it was fantastic, being able to watch the swing of equipment working is very fascinating to me.

2 Likes

I’m leaning towards an Arduino setup, several members on the forum have real knowledge and talent in this area. There was a great post a while back on developing an analyzer based on Arduino or similar tech.

5 Likes

If someone develops it, I’ll buy it!