Help! Cryo freezer not dropping in temp... troubleshooting

Guy from a lab gear place told me they run on 504a but I’m assuming a refrigerant guy would know by the type code on that sticker?

2 Likes

The julabo was 404 is the only reason I am quoting that part. But it’s probably a refrigerant close

1 Like

So I’ve been informed the freezer is not working… I’ll be at it in a few hours and will edit this post this pics/vid

1 Like

Where did you get the freezer from @FTGLabs?

Second+ hand From @TME - I just got off the phone with thermo and they told me the unit was made jan 21 1995

I was also informed by them that I could have gelling in my lines from the unit mixing oil from the compressor with the refrigerant from it warming up and then being turned on. They recommend leaving the unit off for 48 hours prior to turning it back on if it “warms up” past the 2 minute door opening temp drop

2 Likes

Wow you didn’t check it before you left Maine?! Damn lugged it all the way back to Canada broke? Ouch… Best of luck getting it repaired sir @FTGLabs

It was working…

2 Likes

Rough ride home? How’d you travel? Spray the lines with soapy water yet?

Easy ride back, ground travel

1 Like

I’d leak check the copper lines

Open up the compressor enclosure and take some pictures if you can. Also maybe note what parts are hot, which are cold, and which electrocute you when you touch them (maybe joking about that last one)

2 Likes

So I never did get to get pictures and stuff of the unit but it turns out the second stage compressor failed and according to the refrigeration guy the fix will only be temporary as he expects the other compressor to go within 6 months to a year