Heavy Metals in Cannabis and their chemical behavior during the extraction process<--->distillation

Not sure what type of tools and trays your using. But all of my stuff is (trays scrapers etc) aren’t transferring heavy metals. I don’t use metal distillation devices so I can’t comment on that but that is an interesting thought.

1 Like

I’m not saying you in particular are, but not many people are aware that pentane is destructive to many kinds of stainless steel, just as one example.

2 Likes

Interesting as that hasn’t crossed my mind as an option

I seen someone on here mention they are gonna use a SS reactor for cbd crystallization. Are they compatible?

Do you know anything about the original source for this idea? I do see the compatibility listed as “Fair” on many charts, but both butane and hexane are listed as excellent, so it seems irrational and I cannot see any chemical basis or possible reactions. Meanwhile the actual MSDS and manufacturer data for pentane list stainless as completely compatible and stainless tanks as the preferred storage medium. I’m inclined to think this was a transcription error on one chart that then got copy and pasted onto the others.

1 Like

Depends on the type of stainless steel. 316L is better than regular 316, and 304. And it’s not like pentane will straight eat through it like a concentrated acid might, it just damages it over time.
Iirc 303 steel is ok, but hastelloy isn’t great.

I did a fair amount of research on this, but I never dove very deeply into journal articles describing specifically how quickly stuff happens

Interesting, could be a possibility, but unoxidized metals are not very polar so maybe a non polar solvent chews them up. It was actually that idea that led me to dive into stainless steel pentane compatibility, rather than seeing it in a chart and taking it as true.
I wouldn’t trust a chart that lumped all stainless steel as one type btw, there’s so many alloys with different properties

I see the same charts that you do, and they do indeed say that. But it seems hard to believe. There should be no difference in reactivity between alkanes, and it’s especially odd that methane, ethane, propane, butane, hexane, heptane, and octane would all have A ratings while pentane would, in an inexplicable fluke, be the one holdout. It also seems off given the manufacturer specifications for pentane list stainless as the preferred storage medium.

Well, seeing as I never actually ran tests myself I’m not going to box myself in on this. You want to take some SS and soak it in solvents and see if it gets weaker, or bends?

Yeah I kind of do really. I have used 304 with pentane myself and never noticed any pitting, swelling, deformation etc. No lab access at the moment however

1 Like

The only difference between 304 and 316 is the addition of molybdenum, which aids in chloride resistance such as seawater.

No other benefit in our application. Cost does not justify benefit unless you live right next to the ocean.

Additionally the only difference between 316 and 316L is a lower carbon content.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering if the carbon somehow makes the steel more friendly to pentane but the larger alkanes don’t fit in purely because of size. Pentane is def a different molecule, different toxicity, etc

Cadmium contamination comes from phosphate based fertilizers.

2 Likes

We’re considering purchasing some trim that failed for arsenic. Anyone have experience with running material that failed for heavy metals/arsenic? Run it through some T-5 and we’re good?

1 Like

Fuge it

1 Like

Centrifuge? What would you recommend?

Fast! What do you have access to?

No centrifuge unfortunately. My hope was we could use T-5 or some other mechanism to remove the arsenic. There’s also plenty of other biomass sources that don’t use low end fertilizers or that don’t end up with these heavy metals. If it’s too difficult we will work with another grower.

3 Likes

Sounds like a pain in the ass but @future says you can centrifuge the isolate to remove heavy stuff.

4 Likes