Heavy Metals in Cannabis and their chemical behavior during the extraction process<--->distillation

Concentrating your extract from the flower you are actually concentrating in purities and unwanted compounds

I agree that if I’m seeing these heavy metals from flower to distillate COAs they must either have similar boiling points or being codistilled. I’ve been finding articles that at least identify transition metals as ideal oxidation catalysts…
Makes me wonder…

Metals bind to chlorophyll, I wonder if reducing color will help a bit with some metal contaminants

Very interesting. Would you happen to know the mechanism of this?
I’m very interested in this topic and would super appreciate any insight!

1 Like

The mechanism of metals binding to chlorophyll that is

Look at heme and notice where the Fe molecule is bound, chlorophyll binds magnesium in a similar manner through the nitrogen atoms that “ligate” the metal. There is rich organometallic chemistry of metalloporphyrins (heme core) and metallochlorins (chlorophyll core). Some metals are easy to introduce, some much harder.

5 Likes

Has anyone here failed for heavy metals on distillate not in carts? Some may co-distill but I would think most would not.

I’ve seen BHO cookies fail for lead. So something is coextracting, Tetraethyl Leaf? Yuck

I’m not surprised about co-extraction, my question is co-distillation.

In CBD oil, once. Never seen it again.

Anyone have experience with inorganic pigments?

Realgar, cadmium, minimum, vermilion?

I would bet most, or even almost all metal contamination in distillate or anything post distillation is from contact with metals, not carryover from crude

2 Likes

Metal trays, metal distillation devices, metal spatulas, scouring pads, etc

Not sure what type of tools and trays your using. But all of my stuff is (trays scrapers etc) aren’t transferring heavy metals. I don’t use metal distillation devices so I can’t comment on that but that is an interesting thought.

1 Like

I’m not saying you in particular are, but not many people are aware that pentane is destructive to many kinds of stainless steel, just as one example.

2 Likes

Interesting as that hasn’t crossed my mind as an option

I seen someone on here mention they are gonna use a SS reactor for cbd crystallization. Are they compatible?

Do you know anything about the original source for this idea? I do see the compatibility listed as “Fair” on many charts, but both butane and hexane are listed as excellent, so it seems irrational and I cannot see any chemical basis or possible reactions. Meanwhile the actual MSDS and manufacturer data for pentane list stainless as completely compatible and stainless tanks as the preferred storage medium. I’m inclined to think this was a transcription error on one chart that then got copy and pasted onto the others.

1 Like

Depends on the type of stainless steel. 316L is better than regular 316, and 304. And it’s not like pentane will straight eat through it like a concentrated acid might, it just damages it over time.
Iirc 303 steel is ok, but hastelloy isn’t great.

I did a fair amount of research on this, but I never dove very deeply into journal articles describing specifically how quickly stuff happens