Heat shrink instead of vacuum grease?

@spdking So what grease would you recommend for a small 2L SPD set up? Ideally that I can get in the UK.

Apiezon 501 is basic. The better stuff is apiezon h becuaee it allows turning under vac without leaking. And long term application

1 Like

Is if food grade?

Mass transfer at the interface between grease and gases traveling past (and into and out of) joints make intimate contact with gases—that’s how they seal!

At that interface, there is a chemical equilibrium established between the grease and the product—some product diffuses into grease, some grease diffuses into product. It’s not about anecdotal experience, and a helium leak test tells me you have a good seal, it doesn’t magically get rid of the fundamentals of mass transfer.

From a fluid dynamics/mass transfer perspective it’ll be hard to convince anyone that grease doesn’t diffuse (yes diffuse) into gas. Chemical equilibrium, vapor-liquid interface, vacuum pressure, high temperature…yup, sounds like mass transfer.

Love,
Phil

11 Likes

And don’t take my word for it, NASA has had problem maintaining clean vac forever.

4 Likes

I have a food grade version i don’t advertise. We have a fresh batch in the way from Europe in a week. It was helium leak detected at 11 scale. This is fda certified grease and completely non toxic.

It cost 125 a tube shipped.

1 Like

You realize nasa had these issues in the 70/80s and this was at or beyond 10/11 scale into the 12-15 scale…

At that vacuum outer space can suck helium through 100 foot thick lead and steel walls.

Alot has changed with grease. Your making statements that I don’t think are even in the same ballpark. Also NASA had a hard time pumping down beyond 8/9 scale for almost a year once becusee the assembler left finger prints in the Chambers at NASA…

That’s a old avs story.

On a helium leak detector you have two readings.

Ultimate vacuum achievable.
Leak detection and rate.

If at or below temp, any diffusion was occuring the leak detection engagement would activate and go off the charts. This test is borderline 12 scale. If there was any diffusing it would have occured at around 5-7 scale Wich is about 1/100-1/10,000,000 of a micron or whatever. And the leak detection would be seeing serious molecules flow in the stream.

2 Likes

I can show you in person and prove it’s not diffusing. You would have a identifier on the helium detector of vapor diffusion or material disentegration in the vapor stream. You are comparing heavy extreemes with crapy grease and uhvp. Most of the greases webuse have a small amount of non toxic thinner that evaporates before you reach temp-some don’t even have this. The rest are emulsified powders and inert substances.

In cannabis distillation unless you are using silicone grease you arent boiling off any grease or diffusing it. We have detectors that tell us if this is happening.

1 Like

He doesnt sell the sleeves :joy:

8 Likes

We don’t need to, we used to sell them and found they stopped selling. I still have a box on the shelf, nobody buys them. They are a few years old. We found out a couple manufacturing tricks and processes with our glass to achieve the highest ratings possible.

1 Like

In another thread didnt you state that they become distorted when stored for a while?

Food grade doesn’t mean smokeable, What does this grease break down into?

2 Likes

Well when you use PTFE they have a me key. They rarely will stay native. So after a period of time you’ll Mar and compress portions that will not longer offer a plumb surface for sealing. I mean this is really optional. It’s also used as a band aid. You can entirely avoid any of these headaches just don’t accept leaky glass from a supplier and find out what thier glass is certified to.

Nothing, it’s fda and food contact safe. If you want to find out you can buy it from me and all accompanied coa will be avail. I just don’t advertise it yet since I sorta am being watched like a hawk.

1 Like

so is it safe to smoke?

First of all, it won’t Cary over in a distillation. Second if grease is applied and used properly it doesn’t Leech out not the glass or unit a batch.

Believe it or not heat string and PTFE that is flexible actually has residual toxic chemicals from manufacturing present probably much more and many more than any certified vacuum grease.

You can search the term “how does heat shrink work” on Google and find the various chemicals present in the material and the “flexible” PTFE versions as well.

There are several version of PTFE that are too “virgin” and carry alot of unsafe handling chemicals and such. A good example is if you smell it. And it has a PTFE odor, then it’s still naturally gassing off.

Anyways. I don’t want to argue with you. I’m trying to help confuse you guys less from bad advice posted all around. Grease is safe if used properly and the correct one is used - your sleeve tech is just plain and simple a band aid for leaky joints.

1 Like

I think the concern is that thermal decomposition of the PFPE will produce something toxic. Not that the grease itself is toxic.

Just want to add something about toxic residuals from PTFE manufacture.

If you buy USP Class VI and ADI-Free PTFE they have been tested to demonstrate they’re non toxic to stringent regulations.

All of RubberFab’s stuff is USP Class VI compliant except for Buna-N materials.

2 Likes

Pfpe is mostly krytox and it’s the weakest kind. That’s why we dropped krytox brand. Well we stopped selling a while ago. People who still have it are just not willing to invest in selling the more expensive grease.

I use apiezon. My boss had Dow Corning when I was brought it. I brought my own personal tube of apiezion because I’m not willing to run without the best

2 Likes