Hash water waste

For simplicity’s sake I do think pentane would get you 60% of the way there.

The other 40% would need a more interesting solvent I believe :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I debated bringing this up as I knew it would sidetrack the discussion, but it was the perfect thread to ask. If anyone comes up with a solid SOP I’d be awesome if ya share.

1 Like

It would probably take a while but another viable route would be vacuum distilling the waste water and then including a giant column of mol sieve in the vapor path.

Then you wouldn’t have to deal with trying to extract from an unreasonable amount of dessicant powders.

1 Like

Anyone considered that there’s going to be nutrients and dirt and shit in the waste water?

3 Likes

Yes, micro thca shows up. Only ever seen one outfit do this… talk about an insane amount of water to boil

1 Like

Applying ultrasound to the water to speed evaporation is also an option.

1 Like

Also, inert gas sparging would work especially well in this situation because the viscosity of the solution is so low. No heat needs to be applied to allow the solution to be thin enough for sparging to be effective.

It might even be beneficial to chill the waste water during the sparging process so you can keep the majority of water from making it into the vapor phase at all. The more volatile components should be carried off with the sweeping gas and can be condensed in a cold trap. Shit maybe even a gaseous solvent like butane would work better as the sweeping gas than nitrogen.

4 Likes

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/ac102057g

1 Like

That approach would work well in combination with using RO to first eliminate most of the water volume

4 Likes

If one chooses to vaporize any significant amount of water from hash water waste, one may be doing it wrong

Never send evaporation to do a membrane’s job

::turns on rotovap::

4 Likes

Well this thread has become fun eh? Nice to have started this discussion, now another doubt that I think has been mentioned somewhere. I notice on the collection from the drain of the freeze dryer there’s a lot of terpenes in the water, put it in the freezer but don’t see any separation between the phases, idk if terpenes are azeotropic but I wonder how to separate them more efficiently. The water looks like milk

1 Like

You could try a liquid to liquid extraction with
Pentane ,Or di ethyl ether
If you have a cls butane might be an option as well

2 Likes

Throw some salt in there and then freeze, might help the separation.

1 Like

After I get done hashing (10-15 gallons) I water my veg plants with it.

If I had 200 gallons a day of waste, I’d just RO filter it and try to use it to wash a car or water plants instead of dumping it out every day.

I don’t believe trichomes and terps do well in the water solvent after 20-30 mins. Not sure if you’d want to retain them.

1 Like

A local company back in the medical days would just boil the water off and they’d have a lot of “stuff” left and then would sell it off at $6-7 per gram wholesale…

There’s a ton of fine material getting though the bubble bags…

Is it worth a damn?

I can’t say

2 Likes

This is what remained after my 73 micron runs. It’s smokable and safe, decent color, but has minimal smell and taste after sitting in the same water after 4 runs. This was a 25 micron screen used at the end of 4 73 micron runs, to clarify.

2 Likes