H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

I dunno. I do think he has some good insights, and is trying to move the discussion forward. Not sure anyone has found the right answer yet, but I for one appreciate everyone who has ventured even an educated guess. Sometimes the brightest light is started with the weakest flame.

All of this is way above my scientific knowledge and understanding, but that won’t stop me from trying to help move the conversation forward. More hands make less work, more ideas fuel the fire for advancing knowledge. Sometimes an idea that turns out to be wrong is what it takes to find a new perspective to find the idea that turns out to be right.

7 Likes

Calli…looking for contaminants in butane gas has nothing to do with
(butane extractors per say). I have 15 years or more experience of looking for unidentifed organic chemicals at the picomole level.
I can assure you that isolating and identifying chemicals selectively adsorbed onto 13X from butane exposure is not a difficult task.
The problem when subjected to current analytical techniques of high sensitivity…is that one will find not one single peak…but perhaps
20 or more identified compounds by the method outlined above.

Butane extraction: see “butane works but no theory”.

If you are knowledgeable about “closed loop butane extraction methodology”…then you know it is a patented process. I worked with
the group that held the original patent. (U.S. Patent Nos. 9,144,751)
They let me touch it now and then. You understand I am totally ignorant about butane extraction.

If you have something important to say about carboxylate anion extraction in aprotic solvent…please inform. We are looking for answers.

4 Likes

has anyone added a drop of some peroxide to a small fresh pour of “stable/no issues” oil?

8 Likes

I’ve definitely thought about it to give a whirl

3 Likes

sure as hell thought about it.

then I remembered “Ether : peroxides : death!!” and figured I need to ask folks more informed in CheMystery than me before doing something potentially stupid like that :shushing_face:

@roiplek will a wee drop of 2% H2O2 added to a 10% butane oleoresin in a glass jar pose any more danger to the person holding the jar than the same jar without the H2O2? zero chance of ignition due to the added H2O2?

5 Likes

Butane, as a hydrocarbon, should be nonreactive in the absence of Cl and uv.

4 Likes

nah seriously you should have quoted that shit.
I knew that was up there (somewhere) too.

thank you!

1 Like

Not much will happen when you will drop it into the jar. But you will improve the burnability of the LPG.

Edit: it may fuck up the extract, stil. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you here but hydrocarbons are definitely reactive outside of Cl and UV exposure. Hank Hill made a career out of this fact.

6 Likes

I’m not talking combustion.

2 Likes

And I guess I should clarify that as alkane hydrocarbons

This might be getting off subject (maybe not) but whst about this?

Maybe there’s a catalyst in there somewhere that I’m missing.

1 Like

Catalyst bed @ high temperatures

2 Likes

Yeah it says fluidized bed reactor (usually solid pack w catalyst) and if you follow the scheme it’s where water is pushed into the reaction scheme.

1 Like

General reactivity is always in the neighborhood of STP. High temps, pressures, or presence of catalysts to reduce activation energy means all bets are off.

1 Like

Would you care to explain a bit more?
I know patents were issued but I don’t think they were people who invented it…
I could be wrong

3 Likes

If that is the case and it can be proven that there were prior art, which I am sure there were, then the process patent holders can not litigate against perceived infringement and not expect to lose.

Unless the patented process is a non-obvious (big) improvement over state of the art.

What’s the patent number @moronnabis?

3 Likes

Was the subject of phase transfer catalysts ever discussed?

mito…you have a very interesting pattern of quoting out of context.
e.g.,
@mitokik “patent holders can not litigate”
was the concept of criminal neglect mentioned?

your question seems rhetorical.
what reaction are you referring to in regards to your catalytic procedure?

I said cannot litigate and expect to win. If the defendant can show existence of prior art, not necessarily their own.

I was just wondering if someone had used a lipohilic counterion such as tetrabutylammonium to facilitate the THCa anion being extracted into a hydrocarbon. This was obviously not in relationship to any patent that I know of.

1 Like