H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

3% hydrogen peroxide solution mixed with stable butane did nothing but cause some offgas from the heat provided by the water/H202.

My working tank was initially definitely more volatile than the stock tank for the first 45 minutes and then for the next 1-2 hours, the working tank was more stable than the stock tank.

I have seen chalking with both 70/30 butane/propane and 60/20/20 butane/propane/iso-butane. I will say the issue seemed more prevalent during the time we used 60/20/20 but I don’t think iso-butane specifically is the source. Observationally, based on the stock and working tanks, it appears to be a low-boiling impurity because I don’t know what would react with butane or propane to produce an offgassing reaction without catalysts or very high temperatures. Of course I could be wrong.

I also agree that warmer crystallization Temperature and staying on top of molecular sieve use helps reduce the issue but we have a lot more work to do to get all the answers.

We got solvent analysis done on our 13x molecular sieve and did notice a couple of out of the ordinary solvents (81 ppm acetone and 919 ppm isopropyl alcohol). We did however wash the sieve with denatured ethanol and didn’t regenerate it at high enough temperatures, so there was plenty of Ethanol (52,325 ppm) in there, which pretty much invalidates the results due to cross-contamination of solvents. More COA’s coming soon from the 13x molecular sieve.

I have to look at my notes, but I took the average density of stock and working tanks (my tools were not perfect for measurement so averages will suffice for now). Working tank was a tad bit higher which is to be expected due to increased butane and terpene content vs the stock tank.

19 Likes