Grounding closed loop systems

I couldnt find too much information and its an important subject that should be discussed more in depth. I understand anti static floormats are a good start but I wanted to ask how you guys are bonding all your equipment?

This would work correct?

1 Like

there is a little over here: Static electricity ⚡️

we use 6 gauge copper wire.

5 Likes

Electrically the tape would work as a ground but it is an incorrect choice. Too thin and not rugged enough Bonding wires on door with a hinge need a braided conductor crimped into an electical connecter meant to be fixed to the cabinet. Braided conductors are ALWAYS the recomended wire type for any conductor expected to flex as in a connection at a door hinge. Fixed instalation bonding wires can be either braided or solid but as a rule of thumb if you plan to use crimp on connectors then NEVER use a single strand solid conductor to do it. Stranded wire or braided only. This item is a real gotcha a few years into service and can cause no end of grief to chase down.

Wire changes diameter over time and with use. It tends to shrink. A crimped on connector that is perectly tight in year one may be loose enough to cause carbon build up that in year three cause failures. A screw type connection is preferred then. Additionally, avoid using solder to tin the stranded wires meant for crimped connections. They will get hot and over time the solder and wire will shrink at different rates and also cause problems.

I have learned these tips through an ungodly number of hours in the field troubleshooting gear in misty cold evironment plagued with oil mists (sawmills ans industrial saw sharpening plant). Adding a ground without knowing precisely what you are doing can have unintended consequences.

7 Likes

Thank you sensei! :pray:

1 Like
2 Likes

If it was me, I’d opt for a solid ground especially if you don’t know about the previous ground, get a 1/2” solid copper rod and drive into the ground about 6-8’ And connect it to your electrical system or components

1 Like