Full Spectrum CBD Extract per Pound of Biomass (Ethanol)

Guys;

Just curious, and yes this is a beginner questions.
However, using Ethanol extraction, how much full spectrum CBD extract would you get from 100lb of Biomass?

What’s the starting % of the material?
Crude variables are dependent on the flower/trim details.

I don’t have an up to date answer, but know it’s dependent on initial product.

I usually find it takes 23-27lbs of 10% biomass to produce a liter of crude. This is definitely variable.

Cannabinoid concentration will also vary

2 Likes

follow the cannabinoids. not the cadabinoids. you get out what you put in.

lets take that to extremes, if you put 100kg of 25% THC biomass in there, you’ll get zero full spectrum CBD out…

if you put 100kg of 1% CBD in there, and get all of it, you’ll have 1kg of pure CBD

if you put 100kg of 10% CBD in there, and get 90% of it, you’ll get 9kg of pure CBD

depending on how you extract, the potency of your crude can vary from 50% cannabinoids to 80% cannabinoids.

so that 9kg of “pure” CBD might be in 18kg (9kg / 0.5) or 11.25kg (9kg / 0.8)

begin(ner) by wrapping your head around Mass balance

I think the question really is how much cbd do you lose from extraction. Obviously if you had 10kg of 10% CBD you would yield 1 kg at a 100% recovery rate (which is impossible) NBIRD the question you’re asking is actually a bit complicated it depends on a lot of factors. All the ones mentioned in the above posts plus the skill of the extractor/effectincy of the extraction process.

extraction efficiency is absolutely an important factor. aiming at 100% doesn’t make a lot of sense. 90% is achievable, but takes actually looking at the process. I’ve seen folks run hundreds of lbs at 65% efficiency simply because they didn’t look at their numbers.

which is why I recommend In House analytics early rather than late.

1 Like

See that info is useful to a farmer. Everyone taking about splits but if the extractor sucks than the split ratio doesn’t matter.

Since you’re here what do you think a good extraction number % would be for 10% biomass?

there is a balance between effort and efficiency. if it takes 2x the effort to get 90% than it does to get 85%, that extra 5% is probably not worth the extra effort.

as a farmer, pinning your extraction partner down on their process efficiency makes good sense. if they can’t give you solid numbers with COA’s on spent biomass to back those claims up, walk away.

Makes perfect sense