Fresh Frozen Ethanol Extraction: Whole Plant Versus Biomass Trim Yields of Distillate

A fucking men!! So many growers think they no whats best for extractors. It’s annoying.

1 Like

i have a family member that i help by running their trim and i constantly tell them…this is a favor…why do you insist of making my job 10x harder. it always comes out top shelf but its always a pain working with their material! If it wasnt blood family, i would have walked away a long time ago.

1 Like

There’s a whole industry for solving this drying problem, nothing special about hemp in this regard.

Here’s some of the gear used in other sectors:
https://tinyurl.com/yaeradl2

2 Likes

I would tell them to stop making shitty weed and stop wet trimming. Dry it out before diving it to you. You do etho extract, right, not bho?

I wouldn’t take it on, unless you were doing bho and further processing like we have been. Then you can get what you/they want.

Or find a way to get it dry as fast as possible because you’re etho.

Tell em you’ll make them disty. Process it all into diamonds and sauce. Still their diamonds. BAM! solved.

2 Likes

Yes only ethanol no hydrocarbons

You can make so much fire if you did. Even going straight to carts you can make a more desirable product and more products.

I would totally help you with anything you need to make

1 Like

lol man i wish i could safely and cheaply setup a bho rig in my basement! it certainly wouldnt pass any C1D1 regs. ive thought about doing the blasting outside and storing the butane outside but when it comes to doing subzero blasting or anything all my equipment would be down in the basement.

1 Like

Bummer. If you ever get that sorted out, I’ll help however I can

3 Likes

Thx brother

2 Likes

I understand it is not the same as dehydrating… I was however using a healthy amount of magical thinking in wanting to believe that you could flash freeze biomass and dehydrate by simply putting a vacuum to it for a few seconds and presto, all the moisture is removed lol. Basically I wanted to see if there is a way to freeze dry biomass economically to be able to 1) store for long periods of time with only negligible cannabinoid loss, and 2) deliver a near perfectly dried product to processors for ethanol extraction. But it sounds like buck it and fuck it is going to remain the norm. I’m also in the desert and this is trying to solve a problem I don’t really have haha! Still if there was a way to air dry milled hemp in super sacks or the like that would be nice.

Lol, nothing wrong with magical thinking!
IMO Id prefer a good dry and vac seal over a freeze. It’s hard to smell and examine frozen material to see if I want to buy it plus it’s easier to transport. I’m with you :100:% I want as dry as possible without terp loss/ decarboxylation and it seems that a few dehydrators in the hanging/curing room would do the trick.
After water is gone you can vacuum seal in large bags or use barrels and blanket with N2 then seal. If you want to throw a little $$$ at it by decarb/dry ovens with moister probes and dry to a pre determined moisture level. @Sidco_Cat sells them for $10k! I’ve heard good things about them from CO2 extractors.

1 Like

Good evening,

We have a grower that gave us 6 plants to try some live runs. Any advice you can give me while I run it through ETHo -60c extraction? We have never done a life run and wonder if it’s the same as a dry trim run at -60? Thanks for any and all help sir.

Ethanol doesn’t work well like that. I would use an lp gas hydrocarbon of sorts

1 Like

I don’t have a answer, I have a question from a farmers perspective.

I get approached a lot for FF contracts and I read you say “the larger farmers are heading toward FF and it certainly benefits the farmer”. I been trying to make sense of doing it and many people say you make more but I just dont get it to pencil. They want to pay 90-110 a LB and for it to make sense on our end it has to be at least 165 and even then it seems as the farmer in giving up a lot to save a little time.

Sorry if I should create a new topic for this question. Just was reading and that part jumped out at me.

I do 6.5 acres of canopy and want to maximize profits while minimizing work load, I know it has to make sense for everyone.
:beers:

1 Like

how much are you being offered for dry material?

if it’s less than 5x what you’re being offered for frozen, then frozen looks like your best bet. freezing it yourself might not be the best approach. getting it wrong will make your material less attractive to most extractors.

I have seen immature, seeded material that should have been burned, that was instead poorly frozen, and then stored for six months using diesel. talk about throwing away money!!

Cycopath-
You hit it on the money, we normally grow good flower outside that looks like deps and get 800+ for it and we’re offered 110-125 so it doesnt work out. I feel most of the guys doing FF is because their crop isn’t that great and won’t sell well as flower, or maybe they don’t have the facility to properly care for it after harvest.

I’d love to chop freeze and send it on its way believe me, just seems like I’m being lazy n giving up half my paycheck.

Thanks for the input, I want to be wrong on this so feel free to show me what I’m not seeing.

1 Like