Freezing fresh buds without forming ice crystals

Do u just vac seal…if you can’t load column and freeze wvac bag load in container then suck air out with vacbag…load column fast and blast fast and cold

You can stick in cooler dry ice for couple hrs and is ready…
Faster u freeze less water u get

I think @Killa12345 right though

I’m vacing everything from now on, even storing my capped m.sieve column in bag like he suggested…like @Beaker said…“just brilliant!”

3 Likes

Yes back in the day before the whole columns got vac sealed; i would just use bags. I USED TO DO and STILL DO deliver a cooler full of dry ice when the one grow that im able to source fresh frozen, trims. Literally as soon as it comes off the plant. It used to be stuck in a vac bag…vacuum the bag…not super packed but efficient for storage. THEN right in the dry ice. Literally from PLANT TO COOLER INSIDE OF 30 mins.

This is NOT the most ideal way to freezer fresh frozen material as you will still see it some what thaw when you pack your tubes. It wont be as bad as you are use to doing but not as good as filling the columns before freezing or just getting one of these cool Nitrogen Flash Freeze machines ive been seeing all over IG the last 6 months.

But im no professional. Really i just do this for personal meds. I just want to ingest the best meds i can. This is what has worked for me. There are people here that run my yearly biomass totals in a day. Im keeping my mind as open as you are. I hope more people chime in as id like to nitro freeze all my stuff in the future…or freeze dry like someone else is talking about in another thread…

You all are sooo awesome…im just happy to learn from the masters here too…I grab inspiration from this forum multiple times a day! Thanks y’all and have an awesome weekend!

15 Likes

Need a liquid nitrogen flash freeze machine :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

4 Likes

Just wanted to see if anyone else has more input on the subject, I would like to try using Liquid N2 to keep ice at bay. So cut the plant, shuck it into bag, vacuum seal it, then freeze, will liquid n2 destroy plastic vacuum seal bags like I’m picturing they will? What’s the best way to get it super cold in the bags. since i can’t freeze columns.

Has anyone poured liquid n2 on material socks or inside of their material column before the run to super chill them? Anyone know of good cryo safety gear sources?

1 Like

While the ln2 itelf wont destroy the plastic, it will embriddle it to the point where it cracks and flakes apart.
You could freeze the buds inside a vacuum chamber, but you still encounter the problem of loading them into your material spool and accumulating moisture in that operation.

I like these gloves, they arent too bulky.

3 Likes

I have been doing R&D with Ln2 and it seems to be the best way to flash freezer the flower to keep the ice crystals at bay. The bad thing is this is more for a Comercial operation as the cost of equipment and Ln2 are high.

2 Likes

Correct, so what we have come up with is a blend of procedures. The frozen flower is stored in 5 Gallon buckets in a -40c walk in freezer. The columns are loaded in the same freezer using a large funnel to keep the mess to a minimum. Material columns are then sealed and taken to the extraction room to be pumped down and ran.

5 Likes

Thats a good workaround :+1:

2 Likes

We are using 4 segment(20’) tunnel Freezers on our farm coupled with an 850 gallon Ln2 tanker to freeze the Harvest in short order. I will dig up a picture in a few.

5 Likes

Tunnel and custom Gorilla Tanker.

11 Likes

Who is the manufacturer of that tunnel freezer?

1 Like

Wondering the same.

RS cryo out of Manteo Illinois. They sell refurbished units also.

3 Likes

Thank you! How well did it work? Were you happy with the results?

1 Like

Here’s something I’ve wondered about. If I was to immediately put fresh product into a Harvest Right freeze dryer and then run that cold in a closed loop. Would that still be live resin?

Depends on who you ask, since the definition of live resin is pretty subjective at this point.

I’d say yes. If it was frozen while still “live”, it’s live resin.

We use a -40 C deep freezer. Our harvest team divides the flower into garbage bags (25 lb. Per). Problem is i’ll come in the next day and it’ll still be wet in the middle. My thought is dividing the flower into 55 gal. Empty ethanol drums, using a phase seporator/hose to cover the flower in liquid nitrogen to rapidly freeze then put the frozen flower into garbage bags and into the deep freeze. Is this overkill? I’ve always heard the flower quality is much higher is you can get it frozen within a couple hours of harvesting

Freeze smaller batches

4 Likes

I’ve never tried this but what about throwing the cannabis immediately into a lyophilizer and removing all of the water that way prior to freezing? I was debating trying that out prior to ethanol extraction to potentially reduce any residual water from mixing with the ethanol and potentially having a longer time before my ethanol forms an azeotrope with water.

Wait, a -40 freezer would work???

What about ice crystals?