Freezing Fresh Bud - How Long After Harvest?

OOPS off topic

1 Like

I pretty much give myself 15 minutes after I snip. Cut a fan leaf and see how long it takes to get droopy. That long.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard you want to freeze your biomass within 4hours of being removed from the root system.

1 Like

awesome, but without any source for that hearsay, Iā€™m wondering what brings you to share?

have you done this?

do you consider the folks from whom you heard ā€œfour hrsā€ to be at the top of their/the game?

does ā€œfour hoursā€ differ significantly or agree with the consensus in this thread?

I ask because ā€œwell my buddy told meā€¦ā€ is the number one preface to total bullshit when it comes to this industry.

Iā€™m not saying youā€™re wrong.

just that ā€œI heard thatā€¦ā€ is not adding a whole lot of value to the discussion.

if you DO have personal experience, or honesty believe in the knowledge of those that shared with you, then stating that EXPLICITLY so that your ā€œdata pointā€ might be better integrated into the picture by those reading along would be appropriate.

7 Likes

Will update you. Harvest is going on now, itā€™ll be about 8 hours before the bud arrives and makes it into a freezer.

External factors like temperature, humidity and air quality will dictate that. The plant looses internal pressure immediately. And foliage will begin wilting within 30 min. My plants would transpire roughly 5 gallons of water a day. It dosent take long for breakdown.

and I thought I was cantankerous

Dude pulling out hearsay and all that ranting when you can just say ā€œYouā€™re wrongā€

in those first few hours is it losing terps? I dunno but i know the terps are like grass when fresh chopped

fair enough. Iā€™ve been off work sick for a couple of days. almost certainly more cantankerous than usual

IMO @W.W is wrong, I also believe the subject IS up for debate.

I believe the bigger problem is the total lack of qualifiers on ā€œIā€™ve heardā€¦ā€

did Steve tell you that?

I personally see no yield variations, between freezing with a chest freezer at -10 to DIā€¦ as long as you pull the vac right.
So I think the issue isnā€™t how cold, itā€™s how fast you can get it frozenā€¦

Iā€™ve seen material thawed, then refroze an still yield equal, the issue is it takes a ton more work to break it down if it has thawed, which is required to get that same yield.

Where does this trichomes busting theory stem from?

I donā€™t see a quality or yield issue regardless of the way it was frozen, with the fact that it was started freezing within 15minutes of harvest, I do see alot more work, just as if you pull too deep of vac on the bagā€¦
Once itā€™s broken up it yields the same

Edit:ā€œMy buddyā€ he has done several runs using buds frozen in a turkey bag, he gets them dry ice cold and smashes them in a vac bag so it doesnā€™t explode. consistent 4-6% returns from wet weight.

Things I have learned by helping others learnā€¦

6 Likes

Anyone can run mistreated material and get a decent returnā€¦ The magic juice makes up max 3% if your processing wet I assume itā€™s because you are lazy and love to over pay for extraction, or you want more terps. Chlorophyll is water soluble, a s extremely easy to pickup. Flash freeze. Or waste your time with hay

3% is a low yield my average is 5+ highest being 7.77%

I think people blame the freezing technique for them having a shit starting material.

I was stating the fact that it can be done.
Lotta neigh sayers on hereā€¦

I meant terps brodini

I see you mention terps, but you also mention alot moreā€¦

I got over 8% yield on a couple of occasions on Ghost Train Haze

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input. To follow up, the bud we received was harvested 8 hours prior to getting it into a walk-in freezer. Took about 24 hours to freeze thoroughly since we werenā€™t flash freezing.

And the extract it made is very terpy with a great nose. No hay smell at all (or maybe itā€™s overpowered by other terps).

I imagine there would be (at least) subtle differences between the extracts if the bud was flash frozen directly after harvest, but nobody has complained about it so far.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve never flash frozen our material and the returns are great 4-6%. Getting it in the freezer quickly after getting chopped off the plant is super important. Cold rooms preserve ornamental flowers that flower shops sell to consumers. Itā€™s not as much about flash freezing as it is 1) not handling the bud too much while wet and 2) getting it cold quickly. Becuase even if youā€™re not freezing it right away, cooling it down helps prevent moisture loss from the plant and in our opinion helps keep a better nose and quality. When people cure bud for dried flower itā€™s kind of the same, they want their cure rooms cool too prevent moisture leaving too quickly and drying out the bud, messing with the terps. If youā€™re taking good care of the bud all the way through and you know your process Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a few different ways to skin this particular cat. Some licensed operators even air dry for 4-5 days then run their material and still call it ā€œlive.ā€

6 Likes

Keep an eye out. aBHOut it Industries will be launching an on site flash freezing service shortly.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s cold broā€¦

9 Likes

I just met with a guy who comes from the cryogenic freezing world that dealt with pharma research, mostly cancer. He was asking whether a freezer that runs on liquid nitrogen would be of interest in this industry. It could chill to -196C in a matter of minutes. Would that be too cold? Is there such a thing as too cold, either theoretically or empirically when it comes to extracting cannabinoids? Itā€™s a fairly pricey proposition but if it was some sort of game-changer itā€™s not prohibitively expensive.