Freeze drying flower

It takes considerable vacuum to sublimate the water even at 0c. You’ll lose some terps in the process unless you’ve got a beastly cold trap with a sep funnel.

If you just fresh freeze and extract those terps could remain in the extract depending on how you extract.

1 Like

There are a couple secret menus on the harvest right if you tap the top left and right of the screen. I’m sure you could come up with a program that worked, but the capacity on even the 8 shelf is so small that I don’t think it would be worth the effort or very scalable.

3 Likes

I just received a lipolyzer from china… I am trying to set a standard “recipe” and i am having trouble. I think it could be a few variables.

I have no idea why you are losing smell. I don’t care about smell because i need my material for ethanol extraction, and ethanol extraction and distillation will ruin the terpenes anyway.

You may be removing terpenes during this freeze drying process. You can also try to start colder. Start at -80C and instead of running a recipe just leave the trays at ambient temperature and pull the vacuum down to as low as you can get it. Then let it just go all night and see what happens.

I don’t know what machine you use, and I don’t use a program for my own stuff because I don’t care about the profile. I only need the THC and just need it to be as dry as possible.

Im extracting for usable flower… thats why I want to keep the smell of the product

For sure. Unfortunately I’m not sure I would want to freeze dry flower for the purpose of keeping the terpenes. As you know freeze drying applies a vacuum and when you pull a deep vacuum you can start removing medium to high volatile compounds even at room temperature. So there is a decent chance you might just be boiling off or sublimating off the terpenes.

1 Like

This has substantially to do with your process control during lyophilization. Keep in mind that the terpenes/other compounds of organoleptic interest are volatile, but their boiling points are still generally much higher than water. If all you do is freeze it and suck real hard, you’ll eventually get rid of anything that’s volatile but lyophilization is capable of more selectively evaporating compounds than hang drying if you implement tight process control

Edit: whether the juice is worth the squeeze is another question, and a market-dependent one

4 Likes

I’ve had CryoCure flower, and it was pretty amazing. Nothing looks like it and it was the terpiest flower I’ve ever had. That said, the machine is huge and expensive. I’d start off with a Harvest Right, and from what I hear you can flash some of the cheap versions with the laboratory version’s software so it’s much more controllable.

1 Like

when you pull it out of the freeze drier, what is your moisture meter reading?