For those that asked about my custom built a/c chiller

How long are you running it for. What temp for burn off? How many lbs. Of solvent, and what kind of solvent?

2 Likes

2 8x36 internal coil/jacket collections at 85f with a constant input feed of ntane.

I was thinking 1" out of each through sieves and into a single 3" open shotgun @FicklePickle style.

4 Likes

Ok, passive set up.

2 Likes

From my first run on a 1.5x24" to my current 8 6x48s I have never ran a pump.

About to make the chiller jump I guess just hard when dry ice is so cheap.

I would like to get rid of all these 3/8 coils though lol

5 Likes

I’ll run some calculations later today.

2 Likes

Don’t go out of your way I’ll run all the numbers next week and start making It happen I was just spit ballin

2 Likes

The dry ice is cheap. It’s the time it takes up. It’s so much easier to flip a switch, or set it on a timer so it’s ready when you get there.

I have heard that you can pull the temp probe from the freezer out, so it doesn’t reach temp and shut the compressor off. It just keeps running and will get down to -20f or something like that. Won’t last as long, but meh

5 Likes

I got an old craigslist freezer down into the negative 40s Fahrenheit by pulling the temp probe the compressor will run continuously that thing sat down there and ran for a good year continuously and never had an issue I actually recently sold it since we are renovating the basement.

That 30K AC you have there can take quite a heat load I bet you could easily run 2x 20L rotos off of it. If you’re an HVAC person you could play with the TXV valve and refrigerant types to get that thing colder that chiller could potentially get into the -40s with the right combination which would also make it useful for ethanol extraction chiller. Getting below -40 f will probably require Cascade refrigeration. Also the colder you run the less heat load it can manage since it is also dissipating heat from the atmosphere.

That 30K BTU chiller set to 0° is still perfectly capable of operating a roto and you could get away with a pretty high heat load instead of running at -20s

3 Likes

I don’t think it would necessarily get colder but you can get a mini split up to like 4 tons. They require more automation or wiring trickery since they have more features and the compressors modulate their power whereas the window AC units are simply on or off.

Back in my AC and chiller PC overclocking days a lot of those fellas were HVAC geniuses they were constantly swapping out refrigerants and changing out the expansion valves in the AC units to get them colder a lot of guys were running below -40 and into the -60s

5 Likes

R410A is the refrigerant commonly found in window ACs and it can also be used in “very low temperature” applications.

freon 410a very low temperature vlt refrigeration.pdf (92.7 KB)

I’m about to build a plate chiller system that runs 410a directly through the plates. I don’t want to clutter your thread, but more information can be found here-

3 Likes

PC overclocking has a rich history of DIY phase change cooling that could be applied to parts of what we do

3 Likes

Nevermind. Not strong enough, I reread the thread.