First time ever doing Extraction/Winterizing (couple questions)

After I fill up boiling flask how do I cap that so vac stays in system. Now i understand how u fill boiling flask. I was filling it with funnel then putting it on system.

Donā€™t forget the decarboxylation. I shoot for greater than or equal to 1:8. Depending on the state, you will either need a license or a business with one for the 200 proof ethanol. I winterize at a minimum of two days.

I can get the 200 proof. Iā€™m using 190 right now but thinking of switching to the 200 proof. So after rotovap should just let it get to room temp then take to stir plate is the desired temp on plate Iā€™m looking for. Sorry the rotovap new to me and Iā€™ve wasted couple thousand in product and lost a lot of carts because leaking on battery from air hole and I do buy ccell from actual company not China.

Again I donā€™t really understand what your saying. Your roto should hold a vac after you close off your ports (ie the fill port). Obviously you will loose some vac when you open it to fill up your flask. But then close it after. If the port leaks plug it with something.
Not trying to be rude but it sounds like you are asking how to use a roto and you can find that info on Google, or in the manual. I havenā€™t said anything unique or proprietary in these posts.
And Iā€™m not trying to bog down this post with nonsense.
But yeah using a funnel is just a slight waste of time and product. I like to skip those steps when I can.

1 Like

No your fine Iā€™m just a rookie to the rotovap. I donā€™t know why but my fill port wonā€™t close off all the way still sucks in air and will not hold vac I have to plug the hole. I appreciate your help on filling the flask tho that will save me some time and allow my machine to get to temp. Any suggestions on temp for bath and spin setting?

The faster it spins and the hotter it is the faster your etoh will boil off. Itā€™s really just a preference of how long you want to walk away from it.
Just make sure you donā€™t decarb it (unless you already have then it does matter) (BTW decarb is roughly 100 degrees c) (vacuum will drop that required temperature, idk how much) but just adjust it to a consistent boil without having an ā€œalcohol eruptionā€ really it does not matter at all. And if your alcohol does boil over into your collection fuck it, still donā€™t matter just restart and try again.
Iā€™d highly recommend a few Google searches and an hour with the manual before trying again.

Funny buddy funny. For your info Iā€™m reaching out to people who have experience with the same stuff I am. Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s what this whole site is all about. Sorry if I havenā€™t explained myself more thoroughly but I do appreciate what help you did give me

The site is meant for assistance not providing free sops and teaching you basic information about how to use your equipment that can be found after 5 mins on Google.
My answer to how to properly use your roto is to read the manual for your roto.
Ehh someone should probably flag me on this.
=)

Yeah get your facts straight first before you assume something. No need to reply hashman465 we are done here

The fill tube is leaking I assume bu your wording.

Get a new one.

Is it ptfe or glass? Can you see streaks at the turn part?

My guess is you have the condenser vac leak or bf vac leak.

I have about 100 gallons thru my re-510

Ptfe valve.

On the bottom of where the swivel joint is (part you turn to open close), tighten that black oring a bit more.

Should solve the issue

Edit
Before anyone says is it china junk,YUP! 100% china junk that works greatly. Same with my spd, 1st run gold 90% passes.

I know this thread is dead, but I want to make sure anyone reading in the future knows that decarb is completely temperature/energy dependent; increasing vacuum will not change the temperature and energy requirements for decarb. Increasing vacuum will, however, lower the boiling point of the contents under reduced pressure. Vacuum has no effect on decarb temp or time.

I also strongly disagree with this statement. Cleaning and restarting costs significant time and effort. I value my time and efforts greatly, as should every one of us. Rotos are designed to be fed, as you stated further up thread, and if one is feeding appropriately, bumping tincture into the condenser and receiving flasks means that someone is not paying enough attention and should revisit the basics. If an employee or colleague gave me that nonsense after setting everything back a few hours, we would likely be having a not nice talk.

4 Likes

No. Vacuum does not alter decarb temps. Period.

It will alter the boiling pointā€¦

4 Likes

My boss occasionally tends one of our rotos and has a tendency to bump. Iā€™ve had to tell him that if he does it again, I donā€™t care that he owns the company, the penalty will be caning.

5 Likes