First soxhlet pentane extraction! DIY for under $300!

finally getting some fresh hemp to try this with, did you test your stuff for potency?

What’s your point with this? Unless it’s snokeable flower as your starting material no reason to do live resin. And even then rly very little twerp profile in good hemp anyways

extracting from fresh seems nifty

To what end tho?

Providing a service where your growers don’t need to put time and money into drying.

Time is money! Curing is time & money

1 Like

Sorry, my reply is taking 24 hours to get posted:frowning_face:
This stuff boils at under 90 degrees (the water in the hot bucket never gets above 150 degrees) so the pressures are very low. Don’t forget the receiving jar sitting in that -5F salt-water bath reduces the system’s pressure greatly. Likely they undergo more stress during the canning process then they do with this.
In another life, I used gallon glass jugs to do the birch reduction and that involved much higher pressures. Pressures were great enough one could see the bottom bow out very slightly as the ammonia was put into it, even with a 1/4" ID exhaust line on the cap to route what gasses off (there’s your pressure release;-). That, however, was nothing compared to at the end when one added drops of water to burn off the sodium metal or lithium to stop the reduction. Even then one could usually save the cook if a jug cracked (maybe 1 out of 20 did) as they did not shatter . . . nor will my jars now.

2 Likes

Cool set-up. I’ve been playing with soxlets for a couple of years. They still fascinate me, however I’ve had greater success minimizing wax pull by extracting with pentane under cold (-20C or so) temperatures. If you keep your solvent volume high enough relative to cannabinoids, it will pick them up just fine. You get a beautiful yellow extract… To do this safely, I use an airlift pump to recirculate pentane up and through the basket strainer with biomass. No heat applied. I typically use a condenser at -30C to control vapor, but the vapor pressure is getting pretty low at these temps.

2 Likes