First short path setup

I mean sometimes you get lucky.

Think of it like this. When you sell a pump, usually you sell it when it’s toast.

That’s what people are doing when buying eBay budget priced pumps. You might get a okay pump, most likely you are getting one that’s toast.

2 Likes

The main issue with getting contaminated used pumps is the oil can actually migrate back towards your process with oil back streaming. Back streaming happens at low pressures and small amounts of oil migrate back towards your process and have been contaminating peoples product. This is why a lot of people are switching to dry pumps. We work with a company that has tested these used pumps and they have found mercury, cyanide, pesticides and other nasty chemicals.

Oil cannot back feed into the system. This is from the moisture, water, solvents and volatiles present in the pump that coat the tube or hose or Bellow and actually this is from pulp misuse. Dry vacuum pumps back feed molecules in reverse, that’s why scroll pumps back feed PTFE dust backwards from the scroll plates over time.

vacuum pump oil is manufactured so far away in vacuum and temp that it’s impossible to vaporize it. I’m not sure what Yahoo told you this but I suggest you stop listening to him.

You work for a company called xtractor depot, they don’t have any of this hardware to make these claims.

I19 is manufactured at 350-370c below 1 micron with plasma vacuum pumps along with roughing systems.

How the hell is a Edwards pump going to volatalize i19 oil at temperatures that won’t burn your hand when you touch the pump and with the oil side being open to atmosphere on the back of the second rotor stage in the pump. Please. I want to hear this.

@spdking what is your recommendation for the pump I have. Bought on eBay seller did not know what they where used for. Where can I get it tested for said contamination. @EXTRAXpros feel free to chime in please

1 Like

I would love someone to answer my questions and then you guys can continue to educate on other topics. Thanks much guys.

1 Like

Usually they don’t test the pump because it’s under the assumption that something bad was in it What you should do is disassemble the pump and get a new main cork seal. Then take your parts And put it in a hot simple green bath and use a soft brush like plastic or cloth to clean out all the vein and cavity portions. use gloves and then take your simple green to the disposal center and dispose of it safely. The problem is once you access the pump and start touching everything inside you could just be getting your hands dirty and all over your work space. Every rebuild center actually uses either a chemical or water-based ultrasonic soap bath and that’s how they clean it and then goes through cartridge filters and then they pay hazards waste to come pick up the fluid and the filters. The contents vary and it’s safer to assume it was used for whatever in the world people use these pumps for. It’s about 50/50 that there are hazardous contamination in pumps.

2 Likes

Post a picture of the sight glass on your pump

2 Likes

Shipped empty. No oil in it in pictures

1 Like

Hard to tell. Usually corrosive compounds mean the insides look rusty or spreckled with material and corrosion. Can’t tell from pic.

Ur good. If you think it’s a bad pump I’ll take it off your hands.

1 Like

Yours looks clean. Cleaner then mine.

Look. If your getting pump oil in your disty you have a whole other issue to deal with.
How else can it contaminate the disty.

2 Likes

I don’t work for Xtractor Depot and I have been working in high vacuum and ultra high vacuum processes for more than 10 years and oil back streaming is a problem whether you think it is or not.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought one myself.

Just in case anyone is looking, he’s got 8 left after the one I just got.

1 Like

It just arrived. Dusty and smells funny.
Haven’t opened the case yet.
Glass window looks ok, no rust or corrosion visible, looks a little gunky maybe.
Regular 110v plug.
Not as big and heavy as our 220v Agilent MS40+. (the one we call The Beast)

*Update: Detailed it with some ISO and it looks almost new. No black gunk visible in oil reservoir. Glass window looks cleaner than the pic above. Will update again after I flush and run it.

4 Likes

Any reccomendstions on what vac line and water line to use with short path?

Silicone generally. Thick was. You should be able to push from four sides with your fingers and it won’t collapse on you

2 Likes

How is everyone finding these so cheap, they are 1-2k now i think people caught on