First Attempt at EHO Diamonds

I’m curious about Ethanol and that you mentioned it’s a non-toxic solvent. I thought Ethanol vapor was toxic hence why the states set such low levels for residuals. I’m leaning all of this stuff so this isn’t a matter of questioning you rather asking your advice.

2 Likes

Oregon has no residual solvent limit for ethanol (stupid, but true.)

The fda rules say any amount of ethanol is ok in food/beverage so long as you call it out (also true. Nowhere near as stupid. Also not huffing it).

Our ancestors seem to have picked up their ADH4 (alcohol dehydrogenase) some 10 million years ago. Which is about 8 million years before we started walking upright…

Not quite as salubrious as mothers milk, but not super high on the list of things I’d be concerned about.

Edit: see what the all knowing one has to say on the subject of huffing ones liquor. vaporizing ethanol - Google Search

6 Likes

Well then I have to ask what is the point of going through 3 day vac purges for ethanol?

Granted the main purge and what-not would be completed but beyond that - wouldn’t a short time in the chamber suffice then? Or are there further advantages to a fully purged product that relate to effect and experience?

Waste of time. You either waste time evaporating super slowly or decarb your thca

2 Likes

I think most states have ethanol at 500ppm. I believe I’ve only heard of one state with 50ppm ethanol, and I think there are several with 5000ppm.

I can taste the solvent up in the ~5000ppm range, which is about where I pull from the rotovap.

I was purging winterized shatters down to 300-400ppm in 48hrs.

So yeah, adjust to taste…

5000ppm seems a bit high. I wonder what mine is at :confused:

Thanks for helping clear that up. I wouldn’t want ethanol taste in my extract. Having said that I probably won’t bother with a 3 day purge and all that jazz.

My most recent batch was fucking phenomenal. I finished it today and I’m burning :frowning:

1 Like

Uh might want to check your math,

The formula is THC-A% x 0.877 = THC-D9%, so unless there was THC-D9 in there before you counted the THC-A your % should go down after decarb cuz its now a smaller molecule. Also THC-D9 will not make a diamond.

:spoon:

5 Likes

ADJECTIVE

1. health-giving; healthy.
    “salubrious weather”
    The word of the day!
5 Likes

I picked that phrasing up from @Graywolf :shushing_face:

8 Likes

I think he means its 80% THCa and the total THC, including THCa, is 90%. So 10% D9

5 Likes

CA is 5000ppm limit for EtOH…

You might have better luck making kief> rosin> diamonds

Or evaporate your ethanol and then use terpenes. I hear @TheWillBilly will sell you an sop for top dollar

3 Likes

Future has it right, around 10% D9 and 80% THCa. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Unrelated note, but carbon chemistry advises against using Celite as a filtering medium during Color remediation, due to silicosis(lung disease from inhaling superfine silica crystals). What are your thoughts on that? I’m planning to going to use your cbleach scrub SOP, but they advised against using Celite, instead using activated alumina. What are your thoughts on that?

Prepared, handled, and filtered appropriately, celite is an effective medium for filtration.

Improperly done, you definitely run the risk of silica where you don’t want it.

3 Likes

So if I use a #1 Whatman Paper in my Buchner with a cake of celite on top of it, would that be alright? I definitely don’t want silica in my end product. I’ve been lurking here for over a year before finally asking questions

1 Like

Just try to remember that breathing in the silica isn’t good for you or your customers. Once its dry it can get puffy and go everywhere. Including your eyes and nose. Use appropriate PPE, etc. <3

Does rosin have a high enough THCA content to make diamonds? From what I understand you need roughly 90%, and most rosins I’ve seen are usually in the 70’s

With the rosin diamond tech you just keep pressing at different temps/times and pressure until all that is left is diamonds.

I’m not gonna say eho diamonds are impossible but there’s definitely better solvents for making diamonds. Pentane is on the line of being able to pull it off efficiently. I’d imagine if you did an ethanol reactor scale wash with pentane and dewaxed and then filtered through media you’d have diamonds no problem. You need to boil the pentane off with low heat and vacuum and rotation otherwise you risk breaking the bond and decarbing it.

That being said, pentane is a lot more dangerous to use and you should treat it as butane. So for that matter, you might as well just use butane/propane blends as they have lower boiling points.

1 Like

Maybe I should be putting them in the vacuum instead of the shelf? I’ve seen a few other users say they put their jar in the vacuum oven. If so what temp and how deep of a vacuum?

I think you got that backwards bud