Filtration steps for closed loop (N-Butane)

At competitive prices? :smiley:

1 Like

Since this is a thread about using butane, how about you tell the community which of your products are rated to use with butane?

3 Likes

I’ve often wondered about whether or not all polypropylene or polyester media is suitable for contact with solvents. Obviously anything dyed is a no go but im more thinking in terms of whether or not there is something in these plastics that our solvents can leach out without causing any visual change or degradation in the polymer that would indicate that the two are not chemically compatible with one another.

Is there different grades of polypropylene? Some that are suitable for use in the food and beverage industry? Similar to how ‘platinum cured’ silicone is produced for direct contact with food?

I guess a good way to tell if its compatible would be to put some polymer filtration cloth and stick it into a 1.5" triclamp spool with some solvent and, then seal 'er up and heat the shit out of it for about an hour. If at those temps and pressures the butane didn’t leave behind anythinf upon evaporation then you should be good.

1 Like

When i made my pentane terps, a member on here tested them for being contaminated with phthalate. My guess was they came from the tubing I was using to connect to a glass barb. https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-3-4-in-O-D-x-1-1-4-in-I-D-x-24-in-Braided-Vinyl-Tubing-HKP002-PVC008/303209686

So even though a material appears to be compatible by nature, sometimes there are things like these plasticizers that get overlooked

2 Likes

Glad you’re proactively trying to figure out why and not just putting fault on the guy who tested it. Would phthalates even be able to distill over? @Apothecary36

1 Like

they were a post distillation contaminant so I’m not sure. I don’t even know how he tested for it

@Apothecary36 ErtelAlsop products can be tailored to fit your process. As we know, depth filtration is a cellulose base and we add filter aids like DE and Perlite, which are suitable for butane, to achieve proper filtration. Additionally, we add adsorbents to this filter matrix such as activated carbon, clays, PVPP, etc to achieve color correction. As for equipment and compatibilities, stainless steel is the best option as you know, but we can also manufacture with Polypropylene, Kynar, Teflon, and many other materials to achieve chemical compatibility. The same chemical compatibility can be found in our filter cloths and filter bags.
@ScoobyDoobie prices are always competitive! There is no price gouging due to this market, nor are we a start up just for this market. ErtelAlsop is a leading manufacturer of depth filtration, and has been around for over 80 years… all we do is filtration :slight_smile:

2 Likes