Filtering help needed

It happens. I currently start at 5% and have gone all the way up to 20%. My next set of tests will be measuring the effects of a range of AC ratios at different temps.

2 Likes

HiMedia GRM7481 Silica gel 200 - 400 mesh (37 - 74 μm) 500g

http://www.himedialabs.com/TD/GRM7481.pdf

500g/$27 via Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYO51I0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ad currently says only one left in stock, but it’s restocked, order and you’ll get it - Amazon won’t charge you until it’s shipped.

2 Likes

That says gel, not a powder. Unless both products act the same for filtration

What you don’t want is silica powder with calcium sulphate (CaSO4) or fluorescent indicator, those added ingredients are for making up DIY thin-layer chromatography plates. Examples,
http://www.himedialabs.com/TD/GRM7480.pdf
http://www.himedialabs.com/TD/GRM7482.pdf

3 Likes

so I have seen ,may mentions of pH induced isomerization in the boiling flask. This makes perfect sense as we are, for some period at least, refluxing in acidic conditions.

My question would be at what point is the pH to low? I have bleaching clay at pH 2.5 which will be used elsewhere but I also have it at 4.4. A little bicarb wash maybe?

1 Like

How much AC did you use?

Much better today

NO green at all. No AC, celite or AO used. 160iu mesh bag. Fritted disc buchner setup.

From. Ow on since I use dry ice, I’ll soak for much longer. I have about 15mins soak time this run. I’ll do 45mins next as long as I can keep temps down.

Machine trim used

3 Likes

Previous run purged

Almost hand stable
Hits nice on my nail
Nice Terps left

May make a cart or 2 with it and see if ppl like it

4 Likes

I believe silica is quite toxic if inhaled please make sure to find some safe practice protocols to follow. I would not use it without a respirator and a hood. I won’t use it in my lab first because we don’t have a hood and second because I don’t want any traces of it in my final product. Happy extracting!

2 Likes

I never used silica. Celite 454, aluminum oxide, and carbon to scrub.

1 Like

I just use carbon and bentonite clay for filter media. Works great at removing colour. heat to 45c.

I read that regular Silica isn’t harmful. It’s quartz silica I think you need to watch out for.

All silicates will damage lung tissue, Any thing that makes a “dust” needs to be done inside a ventalated hood or near good ventalation. Learn About Silicosis | American Lung Association

7 Likes
  1. Can you elaborate on “Dry Ice” and when you used?

My story:

Using extraction with 200 Proof Alcohol . 1 lb of Trim and 4.5 L (gallon) of 200 Proof Ethanol.

I was able to get 4.5 litters of solution. but then i used acivated carbon with Celite, 2x passes, and got 3 litters.

Is that a lot of lost?

1 Like

I use dry ice in my trim bag, and directly in my soak with etoh. Or when i need to keep temps super cold before the filtering begins. Just watch out, add small amounts of dry ice at a time to ethanol, it’s going to bubble over of not careful.

1 Like

Thank you!

Let me see if am follow you correctly?

1. Place,1 lb of Trim, into a mesh bag, and then add a pound of dry ice?
  2. Pour 1.5 gallons of cold ethanol (-10, freezer temp) into a bucket?
  3. Ensure that the bag is submerged for 2 mins?
  4. Removed, squeeze out excess?
  5. Filter the filtrate?

Filtration question: @Demontrich

What do you mean by filtration? I am assuming a Buckner Filtration Setup.

Does need to stay cold? Assuming that temperature important?

However, are you just using:

1. Quantitative filter: 20 micron or maybe fine 2.5 micron
  2. Using Celite?
  3. Using Activated Carbon?
1 Like

Inuse a 5 gallon 160iu bag, inside a 45iu 5 gallon bubble bag in a cooler surrounded by dry ice. Another cooler has 1 gallon jugs of ethano surrounded by dry ice. Let sit 3 hrs.

Drop bubblebags from cooler into SS stockpot (5gal plastic buckets before), add cold ethanol from dry ice coler until fully submerged. I use dry ice pellets, not chunks. Add some dry ice pellets slowly and repeat until no more bubbling. I believe this has reached a cold enough temp.
Let sit up to 45 mins as long as you keep it that cold. Adding pellets as needed.
It out bag. Let drop, or put in your panda spinner or the like.
Now filter they buchner while still cold. I use a diaphram pump to speed things along. Keep it cold and i dont think a winterization would be necessary.

I only used activated charcoal and celite 545 when I got greedy and squeezed chylorphyl into my solvent.

3 Likes