Feedback wanted - Contract for a position as "master extractor" director of operations

So i must ask this simple question…

If he cant afford to pay you 100k now how will he be able to after he spends all his money on the build out with inspections, equipment, and every other little penny and dime expense?

If he can afford to build a facility, he can afford to pay someone to do it otherwise he would be doing it himself. How much will he be paying every contractor thats doing their part of the install? I’ll bet everything I own he wont be paying the electricians, engineers, plumbers, etc 20 dollars an hour.

Stand up for yourself and if he wont budge on the 20/Hr then have him make it right with more equity.

7 Likes

My point exactly! I’ve been thinking this the whole time and have addressed this and the response given was this…(his response written in red.

1 Like

Don’t sell yourself short. They’re just externalizing cost onto you by not offering upfront. Sell your services for what you believe they’re worth. The market will dictate accuracy. If they believe in the business, they will invest upfront. Unless you have a fair equity stake in the business, do not take less (unless you’re doing the work for some other reason like resume building, experience, etc.) Hemp is all cowboys and rogues and fake promises.

At the same time, after having worked with some engineers and technicians, much of this industry hasn’t been fairly priced. People overpay immensely. Like $700,000 for cad designs which are worth $5000. Contractors have been spoiled by $100 million companies that have bankrupted themselves in 12 months via ridiculous expense and the other amateurs that try to follow suit.

4 Likes

If your going to be the core of the extraction team get paid like it , and don’t ever hand over any SOPS untill you have been properly paid for them if they can’t afford to pay you then take your expertise and SOPs and find a better opportunity

8 Likes

Here are some questions I had addressed after receiving the contract/service agreement. His responses are written in red.

1 Like

Thats bullshit code for I wanna get the most out of you because I feel like “I own you.”

You do no own this company there for you do not need to unfairly do extra work for their gain.

2 Likes

Have you set up any facilities from scratch? What was your position prior to this?

1 Like

Yeah, I hear ya man. It is a very sticky scenario. The crazy thing is that in January I was hired by them to do a lab build out and work with their architect and engineer to plan the processing facility and this also included doing a spec list of equipment that would be utilized upon start up. I did this through my consulting LLC and charged them a flat rate of 8k for 50 hours of my time and they had no issues doing that at the time… Now that were talking about me running this part of the facility the math isn’t adding up…

5 Likes

Yes, I have set up a facility from scratch and made it all the way through the state inspection with state officials and the state fire Marshall. I spent 9 months on that project to end up getting into a spot that they had wanted me to work at an hourly rate or commit to an employee agreement/W2 where the maximum compensation being offered was only $49k/year with no benefits, profit sharing, or anything. It was incredibly valuable experience and I wouldn’t be able to do what I can do now had I not been apart of that but in the long run it ended up being a bit of a joke for the compensation being offered. Hences why I am so skeptical of this current offer…

4 Likes

20 dollars an hour isn’t shit (unfortunately). They need to pay a lot more if they are trying to go the hourly route…

At my day job, (totally different industry) I made $35 an hour just to argue with insurance adjusters (this was before being put on salary). This job is mindless compared to what you are doing…

My 2 cents.

5 Likes

I’m at a Michigan facility, working as head of processing, but I also own a considerable stake in the company. I would suggest not agreeing to provide SOP’s unless you’re on salary. The only reason I provided as much info as I did, in our development stages was because my shares were not subject to buy back, unless I stole, failed to “devote my full-time efforts to the venture”, or engaged in an act of moral turpitude. Your contract does not have you well-protected and basically forces you to give up all your extraction knowledge, prior to commencement of salary, and that’s scary. I’d look for them to either start you on salary up-front, or give you shares that are protected, unless you engage in blatant wrong-doing.

5 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t pick up one hand making any sort of concentrate for $20 an hour. I’ll help paint walls, throw out trash, help move equipment around but I’m not making any business decisions or operations for $20 an hour. No sops, no help picking out equipment. Nothing.

If you want me as a master extractor/ lead lab director. Pay me like it. There should be no 20/hr start. The profit sharing should be performance based.

This might not be the right fit bro

14 Likes

If you can’t survive comfortably on the pay, don’t do it.

If he was haply to pay you almost 2k a day to consult, he’ll pay for your time until starting, even at 60%+ of pay

5 Likes

ask them to change master extractor to professor finesser

7 Likes

20/hr to build out a lab? then, as a reward for your hard work, an appropriate salary after the fact?

thats frankly insulting. not to mention, the ‘build our lab, our SOPs, then cull for someone we can pay 60%’ is very real.

10 Likes

hahahahaha :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, that pretty much how I felt. It gets me into this mindset that I would hate to turn the position down for the simple fact that this role doesn’t just fall into someones lap all the time. Majority of positions out there are for technicians or some sort or introductory level job. I am far past an introductory level position and to get somewhere id like to be is proving to be more difficult than I necessarily would like it to be, not saying it should come easy but more of saying that companies who are fulfilling this position have already made their minds up for the individual who will be stepping into that role.

5 Likes

It’s a laughable offer. You were worth $200/hr to them as a consultant. Full time you should be worth at least a quarter of what you were as a contractor. If they are comfortable spending 100ks on equipment then they should be comfortable spending 100k on getting someone worth 200/hr for a whole year.

Also i believe that it’s illegal to say you have to give 90 days notice to quit. The most they can do is make severance conditional on you doing that. They can’t force it.

6 Likes

hey i feel ya, but if this is the only offer on the table just know where you stand. Depends on your value proposition. You can always walk away from a service contract like this at any time (despite the otherwise ominous language) if you deem it to not be a good fit. Overall if you’re looking to get into the market and don’t have other offers this isn’t terrible, although you are selling yourself for 20$ an hour assuming they don’t run you 80-100 hour weeks like most do🤷🏼‍♀️

4 Likes

Life in the industry

11 Likes