Extraction labs, are they profitable, and which ones

I hope all the chads fall off a cliff

3 Likes

Slave labor already has
The hemp farms growing weed importing people and barely paying them and sometimes not paying for the property, going balls to the wall, and not caring if they get caught, has driven the price of flower down drastically

1 Like

Not 100%. True. We are Not vertical and we are no means raking profit but we are steadily growing when it seems a lot of our peers are slowing down. I feel a lot of people Went way bigger then their clientele allowed and thought if they built it they will come. This next October will crush farms.

7 Likes

The trend is headed in that direction because margins are getting squeezed tighter so vertical integration is almost required for you to maintain profitability.

5 Likes

I am in Colorado, and I have certainly seen a major trend towards vertical integration in the last few years. I have watched some friends with MIPā€™s struggle who didnā€™t vertically integrate. Companies like Green dot seem to be doing very well. There is a ton of quality extracts in the colorado market, but I think one of the biggest factors is branding, as well as consistency. I can go to any dispo in the state and buy a green dot live resin cartridge and know that its going to be high quality (even if its $50 for a half gram cart). I think a lot of people are willing to pay for that consistency. I know of many brands that make the same product for half the price, but you might only get quality 70% of the time, and they dont have nearly the same following that brands like green dot or 710 labs do. One thing that Green dot, Viola, and apothecary does, that 710labs or lazercat does not is process for other grows as well as their own, and they probably make a fair amount of their money doing that since they are highly regarded in Colorado, and im sure they have a long list of grows who want to have their material processed by them.

2 Likes

Yea just wait till you donā€™t gotta hide a 1000acre grow though lol

1 Like

What do yall think prices will level out at when federal legalization has matured? (10+ years?)
When companies are growing thousands of acres and using giant automated industrial extractors, I cant imagine whats now a $50 half gram cart will cost more than $5-$10 (who knows though, maybe it will be so regulated and taxed that retail prices wont change much for a long time)

Interested to hear everyones thoughts on this.

1 Like

I think by the time this all settles out big pharma will either produce a drug that is like thc but similar/ better efficacy or culture thc altogether without the need of cultivation etc.
People are lazy and will continue to look for other things that deliver intoxication. Cannabis will be what old people do. Break out the Victrola and put on your dancing shoes.

6 Likes

There will always be a demand for craft cannabis! Not a hippie retirement plan with one season paying the bills forever, lol, but itā€™s not only going to go to the mega businesses
People or small crews will be able to do a lot better job than 1000 acre farms,

5 Likes

I agree. I was also thinkingā€¦whoā€™s going to carry the torch though? Once the older Gā€™s retire, die etc these youngsters are mostly too lazy to even try to understand the love and dedication it takes to cultivate cannabis and or make safe, effective products from said cannabis.

Tik Tok canā€™t grow a plant for shit.

5 Likes

The ones really doing it right do have breeders on staff. Greendot has some of the best proprietary genetics on the planet.

4 Likes

Do you guys think THC products will crash in price in 2022 just like CBD did?

It seems CBD is staying stable around $400

1 Like

Not for fire. Itā€™s too scarce. Even most the people that want to put up the money donā€™t have the talent or genetics to produce fire out of commercial crops. Price on true top shelf extracts and flower will hold until national legalization happens in my opinion.

3 Likes

Obviously I have been told my opinion doesnā€™t matter here, even though I am one of the few that deals directly with buyers and balance sheetsā€¦

Itā€™s all about relationshipsā€¦They will change your books.

2 Likes

Donā€™t know about any of the mental health benefits but the main problem Iā€™ve noticed is 99% of the CBD products are just pure trash. I have inflammatory arthritis, Iā€™m talking big swollen red angry joints all over my whole body. Iā€™ve tried maybe 10-15 products and only one transdermal one that had real efficacy. Iā€™m talking about rub this shit on and you can literally see the redness and swelling go down within a few minutes. But for the most part I agree, itā€™s all trash products with little to no testing. They burnt the market out on super expensive products with 2000% margins that donā€™t work.

3 Likes

This is exactly why I started making extreme high dose coconut oil topical for friends and family, which has grown into a little side business that FutureCompounds runs. We donā€™t really make any money on it, but have quite a few customers that swear by it for their arthritis.

CBD is anti inflammatory, but not gas station CBD product concentrations.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome work I definitely gotta try some out!

100,000mg in a jar of coconut oil for $100.

That product isnā€™t profitable, but the lab as a whole is.

8 Likes