Extraction facility layout

Hi everyone,

Im sorry if this is the last thing you all want to read about.

Im looking for someone who can assist me in designing an extraction area. (vent placement, work flow etc)
Our laws state it has to be GMP compliant, so I think that is C1D1??

It might seem like a random question, but I have a blank canvas to work with and would rather hear it from people currently in the space.

If this is not suitable for the forum please delete.

4 Likes

First off, how is your room shaped? How many square feet, ceiling height ext.? What type of extractions will be done at this facility? What is the amount of material that will be processed. What equipment will you be using, and what do you have.How is your electrical layed out? Where are the water pipes/drains. Also what is your goal? All these factors and more will go into designing your room.

7 Likes

This works! Please update as much information as possible to your OP as it comes in.
Definitely want to see posts like this, it will tie in well with our Safety Thread.

5 Likes

GMP is not C1D1.

6 Likes

Check out HAL Extraction Booth. It’s an all in one solution for classified areas and is much cheaper than building out a room. Hoods alone can cost $40k

4 Likes

1,2: I have an open space that is 8.5m x 9.5m (77.9m2/839.585ft2) height up to 4m if needed.

3: I was thinking of using a butane and propane mix to start with,
4: 15-20kg every 2 weeks will be ready available
5: No equipment yet. I have contacted Lab Society for all related equipment that can be supplied. ( 1300 ETS, 2L SPD, Filtration, Roto)

6: Water pipes and drain are anywhere I want/need them. Including electricity

7: To make good quality meds in Africa , and to be able to learn more about this plant.

@brumder420 I really like that idea. doesnt petryx also do these?

2 Likes

@Terpslut I don’t know Petryx. Lab society is a good source.

You will want to devide your work space into a few rooms to remain clean. You will need an extraction room that is c1d1, room for packaging/weighing, washing+drying area for glassware, a clean lung room for chillers, aircompressors ,and vacuum pumps.make a list of all your equipment and it’s physical size. from that list construct a floor plan, I would recommend building your c1d1 room first. The room should be sized so you still work without being too large. Airflow is key, dead air space will accumulate flammable gas. Air should be forced into the room from the top with explosion proof fans. The vents should be low on the floor to allow heavy gas puddles to be evacuated.the flow to these vents shoud be absolutly unobstructed by equipment. You will want 800cfm while running, and a monitor that kicks up the fan if gas is dected. There should be an audible gas dector and fire sprinkler system installed as well.All electrical must be run in waterproof conduit, I would avoid putting any conduit directly into the room. Run the electrical for the fans on the outside of the room.lights must be explosion proof as well. I would recommend using a pnumatic recovery pump, and plumbing compressed air into the room. If you have devices like chilers, air compressors, water heaters/chillers they must be located in a lung room nearby and plumbed into the extraction room.the lung room can use standard ventilation fans to move air. You will want quite a bit of airflow in there to keep everything cool. Moving on to the lab, you should construct a series of sturdy benches. first bench should be your winterization area, you should have a freezer, and enough space for your filtration gear, pumps, filter medias, carboys, ext. Located near by should be your rotery evaporators. Next bench should be used for weighing/product handling/ vacuum oven. Last bench should be your distillation bench, this is where you refine your alcohol, and carry out short path distillation. It wouldn’t hurt to weld up a lab frame to clamp your glassware to. Build it like a grid, with a 25cm spacing. Weld tabs on the frame to screw to the bench top and wall to secure it. You will want a small commercial fume hood for your solvent handling area. Don’t forget good ventilation in your lab space, filtered incoming air is also a nice touch. You may want a few air ducts that can be pulled down over vacuum pump exhausets. Glassware washing areas should also include good ventalation, waste bottles and cans should be employed as to not pollute. Rubber mats and a good glassware drying rack are essental. It is also nice to have an R.O water faucet on the rinse sink. Your glassware storage should be somewhere between your washing area and lab bench.lastly is a solvent recycling area, if you can segregate your waste bottles some can be recycled. It is every cost effective and eco friendly to reuse your solvents. With these in mind begin to sketch your workspace.

48 Likes

While economical, the quality just isn’t there. Check out FlexMod

2 Likes

***was referring to havelick & assoc. C1D1 rooms

Start with a GMP inspector? Muricans don’t have GMP.

1 Like

It’s PeytriaRx and they do make certified booths. Contact Zach Jordan on Facebook - he can set you up right

Hello,

I’d be happy to assist you in your design. The advice above by soxhet is spot on, but if you need help understanding any of that or want to ask more specific questions I’d be willing to give you some time :slight_smile:

My email is grahamholladay@gmail.com. Reach out to me if you want to chat!

Graham

8 Likes

I’m looking for help retrofitting our manufacturing space to C1D2 specs for Ethanol Extraction, please advise. Brandon@Android-Genius.com

GMP is a term from the American CFR…wtf are you talking about mate?

What is a clean lung room?

A room used to give clean “breathing” air for the circulators, so its not filled with vapors from the extractions/processes

2 Likes

Its where you can put your equipment like water heaters, air compressors, ext.It keeps this equipment out of the lab.

3 Likes

That makes perfect sense! Anyone ever have any trouble with the fire department on the water heaters? Like with ventilation or what have you?
@greenergrasslabs
Asking for a friend lol

That all depends on your local laws and what your permitted to do.

1 Like