Ethanol Lab Chemical Safety Question

Same here

1 Like

It’s not him, it’s the two little devils on his shoulders called Dunning and Kruger.

1 Like

Was this store bought walgreens or Safeway iso???

That signifies the source you were using was less than satisfactory.

2 Likes

Some real cheap off brand iso.

The grey streaks and markings left behind came from contamination. Petrol, mineral, and low lds toxicity remanded within the processed alcohol through crappy supply chains. But lab grade iso and you’ll be we encounter that.

1 Like

haha hang on I don’t understand the reference to a grease trap and thus don’t understand why you’d feel like that extracting with limonene?! what is it about the grease trap experience that’s unique?

just curious!

2 Likes

It’s greasy

2 Likes

The air pollution control district disagrees with you. And many others for that matter but them too.

Disagree about what.

1 Like

Why would you say acetone is a last resort? Any proper lab I’ve ever been to (academic, pharma, contract R&D, cannabis) use acetone as a wash solvent.

2 Likes

big ass fax.

Motherfuckers slap iso on a wound or use hand sanitizer their whole lives but when they need clean glassware they’re scared of their own shadows.

Let’s all keep on mind people used to use methanol as a wash solvent day in and day out for decades, and you don’t read about thousands of people dying from that and I think we can ALL agree methanol is more toxic than isopropyl or ethanol. Isopropyl can be treated as benign in terms of your contact with it if you’re washing with PPE in a well ventilated area. Just like ethanol metabolizes to acetaldehyde (toxic, but youll live), Isopropyl metabolizes to acetone (toxic, but you’ll live). Funny thing is, some sources claim acetaldehyde is more toxic than acetone - should we now fear ethanol too? You should not bath in any of these chemicals, but they are absolutely nothing to fear if you have good safety culture. Use ethanol in place of everything if it makes YOU more comfortable, but it is more expensive than Isopropyl and is functionally equivalent for washing. If a solvent dries with a film that doesn’t evaporate, your solvent is not pure.

2 Likes

Incorrect, isopropyl is more toxic than ethanol because isopropyl alcohol is metabolized to acetone in the body. This doesn’t happen with ethanol, even though that too is toxic if you consume enough.

Edit: I see this was just mentioned in the post above me.

Ya if you drink it…Wich was mentioned orevt.

I think that was kotk sop just drink some ethanol and you’re cured from methanol poisoning :laughing: lol

Somebody find the quote haha

I saw it on House, confirmed true

2 Likes

Thousands of milligrams per kilograms is low toxicity in both accounts - those figures might as well be identical in terms of order of magnitude on a scale of most toxic chemical on earth…to safe/lifegiving water and oxygen. And those figures are for oral consumption.

The LD50 of caffeine is 100-200 mg/kg
Fructose: 4000 mg/kg
Sodium Chloride: 3000 mg/kg
Nicotine: 50 mg/kg

LD50 doesn’t tell a complete story, even it it wasn’t oral.

Unless your entire plumbing is chemical resistant I wouldn’t. Acetone is a known stripping solvent. Everclear is a known mixer for scorpion bowls and isopropyl is a known medical disinfectant.

I guess if you’re working in a lab it wouldn’t make a difference to use acetone.

Yes, it would be extremely irresponsible and nearsighted to not make your systems plumbing compatible with your wash solvents. Good point, you SHOULD be cognizant enough to check your material compatibilities. Im more specifically talking about cleaning glassware.

I’m assuming you don’t mean like…your actual wastewater plumbing…because none of these solvents should be going down your sink.

1 Like

That’s what I mean.