Ethanol extraction saruration point

About to start cryo etoh extraction (-74 to -86C) on fresh whole-plant material. We will be using 190 Etoh foodgrade using an ethos6 so minimal soak time on the biomass (under 5 mins). We are attempting to do an immaculate extraction and so far our SOP calls for 1lb of uniformly ground biomass to about 1.2gal of etoh per soak and the 1.2gal once recovered from the initial teabag of material - will be used again to soak a fresh lb of material before being approx 50:1 alcohol to resin content. This will then go through a series of inline media filters before ending up at the falling film for solvent recovery :):sunglasses:

Stay tuned on our main insta and the new @columbolabs_incubator

7 Likes

i think we would have issues with ethanol soaking into the material being used. We should probably go about it just finding out how much extract dissolves in cryogenic ethanol. After a couple days of light stirring in cryogenic temperatures pour out the ethanol solution and weigh the difference.

Well considering that the ethanol t s extract concentration is uniform treuout
Thats wy i recomended exact volume
Measurment
We all Will have different starting material etc but If weight of dryed extract and volume is know we have a % ratio
At fixed time volume and temperature

Further i think that doing a test as close to the awnser we wan t Will give more realistic numbers
We are looking for extraction power of ethanol not solvent power of ethanol
Guess You could dissolve a whole lot in your manner of testing but way before that etho Will not strip anything Any more
But all this Said like to know the outcome of your test

Well based on my findings yesterday 2lbs of kief is too much for a gallon of etoh. I did a second wash in another gallon and I think ingot the rest of the oils

1 Like

My math on that would have been 2lbs of kief (~60% total possible cannabinoids). So you got potentially 540,000mg of cannabinoids to extract which would need 7.578L of 190 proof alcohol, using 75mg/ml extraction rate. You used the perfect amount of solvent in my books. 2 gallons is 7.57L
These are the estimates i use for my math, yes i know all material is variable but this is to set a maximum potential concentration in different materials.
Raw Crude ~80% THC
Kief ~60% THC
Top Shelf bud only ~30%
mids nugs -25%
shake/mini nugs -20%
Sugar leaf trim -15%
Big leaves & Crap - 10%

6 Likes

Yeah i see what your saying now, regardless of our total cannabinoid yield, we are looking at the cannabinoid yield in a fixed volume repeatedly to determine when it hasn’t increased from doing another run through material. Now that ive wrapped my head around the procedures, i can’t think of a better way figuring it out.

3 Likes

Best tip all day. Gonna modify my process to include this step

1 Like

Hey OilArt, Does this mean that you are using the least saturated EtOH to extract the last bit of oil in the bio. Or is it the more saturated EtOH taking out the final bits of oil left in the bio. I ask because if we look at industry and Counter Current Extractors the literature states that the maximum efficiency of total extracted botanicals works when we use the partially saturated solvent to remove the first fractions of botanical oils and save the fresh or non saturated solvent solution to get those last bits of botanical oils out of our bio. Maybe give it a try let us know if you get better or same results.

I am using the less saturated solvent (from the previous second wash) to do another second wash. I will do this up to 3 times. Looks like we are on the same page!