Ok so another question
When is ethanol saturated with extract
For extracting
So i don t have the means now but say
3 jars 100gr of material Each washed with 1 liter etho at -60C
Wash 1 jar lab test etho % extract
freeze the etho again wash 2 jar test % extract
And same M O as before on the 3 jar
You Will probably only have half L of etho left but i wonder If Reusing etho on a wash
And deffinatly If dooing a dubble rinse on material If say 60% of normal amount etho Will do the trick

I have been wondering the same thing myself for me on a budget and being a cheap bastard I don’t want to buy a lot of ethanol it would make more sense to reuse the same ethanol for multiple biomass washes

read this, it uses multuple washes.

5 Likes

I have done hexane -86 C washes in a sonic bath and washed 5 material batches with the same hexane works Well iT s just that the hexane pulls to much shi#%^^^
So No use
Maybe with etho iT works good the sonic bath deffenitly made a diffrence in extraction amount

4 Likes

hexane is going to pull waxes, even at that low of a temp. Etoh is more selective at that temp.

2 Likes

Waxes and sh#**t loads else crude was a lot so i was al happy until i winterized
I the amount of dank was amazing

1 Like

How long did you do the soak? A quick dip or longer? With a sonicator I probably wouldn’t go past a minute in the solvent.

1 Like

Well first i did 3 min dips checking temps in the bath not to go over -70C
But i also did 10 min baths with a ultra freeze cooling device that You can put in the bath as Well although not recomended since the coolant gas also gets sonicated

1 Like

Isnt ethanols saturation point 100mg cannabinoids & Terpenes per ml?
I always guestimate my materials cannabinoid content and calculate using 75mg/ml to be on the safe side. Im doing my ethanol extractions at -70C and it seems to still pull everything i guessed.

2 Likes

Well first i think temparuture is a break on etho s solvent power
1:10 ratio is normal solvent ratio for winterizing Wich is done cold
But extraction power of etho is what i wonder
And do these large scale etho extractors
Rinse the bio Maas only once or more times
So Lets say first wash strpes 70 % second wash strips 30%
The etho from the second wash is definatly not saturated so using iT for a next batch makes sense

1 Like

I found that doing a single wash was never enough. I use one batch of ethanol to do the second wash on multiple batches. Doesn’t take much more work and my yield has increased. Recently was able to pull roughly 5.5L out of 100lb.

3 Likes

At wat temp was the etho ?

1 Like

you mean extraction power as in a hot or room temp extraction? there’s definitely a saturation curve as the temperature changes, i think the saturation point of ethanol at warm/hot temperature would be closer to 333mg/ml, i say that because some SOPs say to dissolve your crude 3:1 ethanol:crude, for filtering purposes.

I think the large scale biomass extractors that are doing it best use counter current extraction instead of fill and dump techniques. It is a constant extraction flow, they calculate the amount of mass that goes through one and end and match that with the saturation of the solvent on the other and make them push against each other with gravity (solvent) and a drill looking mechanic that pushes the material “uphill”, as the material falls out its instantly centrifuged.

3 Likes

When i do my ethanol extraction i always make sure to first soak it for 10 min+ with a little stirring, i dont think that the ethanol actually takes that long to dissolve the trichome heads and cannabinoids, i think its more of making sure the ethanol soaks into the middle of those bud clusters. if your running strictly trim, i don’t see why you would need to soak for more than 10 seconds. If im extracting kief the first initial soak will be close to saturation so I set that aside for evap. (if i am running top shelf bud i use my initial portion twice, smalls/mids:three times, trim:four times) I then pour another portion of alcohol equivalent to the first and do a quick stir and soak for 1 min, this is to re dissolve the remaining cannabinoids that were left over from your material being soaked in first ethanol. (your spreading that last bit of goodies out evenly into all that new fresh ethanol to minimize what is left after) As i drain that portion out i pour fresh ethanol to wash down any of the less diluted ethanol down, both of these portions are reused for the next initial soak. The material now soaked in purely clean ethanol is centrifuged and ethanol that drains out is kept aside because the centrifuge could have let that last bit of ethanol soak up everything you specifically kept out from being so cold (-60C).

3 Likes

Agree thats the reason i would like someone with inhouse analytics do a test to see howfar ethanol. Can be pushed at low temps in a first and second wash
Eventhough i think that working with accurate weigts You can get pretty close

1 Like

-40 to -50 F

1 Like

Ok so we all have a hunch at what point ethanol is saturated
How aboat. We tink of a simpel way to calculate this say by weight and volume
And since each of u’s starts with different material Wich i tink should not matter as long as we start with The same ethanol
Say 96%
So we take 200 gr oven dry material feozen soak in one 1 liter- 40c etho for an amount of time
Measure the exact amount of recoverd liquid evaporate the liquid till wat is iT 72C
Refill with 96% etho to exact same volume
Freeze etho with extract again
Soak fresh 200 grams frozen material
Measure dry weight If iT has rissen by how much If. IT is 2x as much etho is not saturated If iT Didn t etho is saturated
Remeber we are searching saturation extraction point of etho
Any body a better method or idee
If let say a few of u’s do this we can compare numbers

1 Like

Come to think of iT
I have a freezer that hits -86 C
I Will plug iT in and leave a bottel. Extracted etho freeze al the way see wat all falls out guess i should winterize iT first
And then freeze wonder If the cristalization of etho pushes the rest out
Maybe someone already did this and has the answer

1 Like

Sorry Guy’s melting point of ethanol is -114.4 C freezer won t take her down enough

So found Some liquid nitrogen for sale wonder If that won t flash freeze the etoh extract And that the oil dienst geta chance to jump out