Ethanol extraction… it’s been awhile

Christ on a cracker!

What RPM was that?

Yes, I would absolutely believe that, as the bag is too big for that basket! We’ve seen that happen even with more appropriately sized bags. Get that sewing machine back out and shorten them up (and reinforce that hole so it doesn’t get any bigger!).

2 Likes

That can be done at 1 RPM if the bag is too big…

1 Like

Wasn’t even thinking about bag size

1 Like

If the bag sits above the edge of the basket before spinning, know that it will only stand taller as increasing force is applied. Pressure on the bag moves out and then up. If it gets a chance, the bag will grab hold of anything it touches.

Also, the force exerted on the unsupported area of the bag (above the basket) is much more likely to experience catastrophic failure (mid run).

4 Likes

I blame the rotor not the bag.

@Photon_noir solved that problem. (I still need to check out the implementation!!).

2 Likes

I’ll show you the skeptical look on my face when you come over this weekend. Haha. That bag is at least 2 inches too tall. Rotor shouldn’t be blamed for spinning too fast or doing its job too well. :wink:

2 Likes

What pressure/GPM should I shoot for?

Literally :joy:

It’s a 20l

Could charge the solvent tank with air to build pressure or should I get a heavy duty ethanol pump?

1 Like

As much as you possibly can without flooding the fuge.

6 Likes

Would you recommend using pressure over pump?

And on a 20l fuge, what’s the ethanol ratio to biomass?
They said 20lb at a time is about max when they flooded

1 Like

If you’re spraying and recirculating that depends on the size of your tanks.

And pump is gonna be a lot easier than pressure at the flow rates that are ideal.

3 Likes

Gotta a suggestion for a pump?

I figure you’d want to pre-chill your solvent to -20c (maybe a smidge colder) and start your cycle. Blast the etho in as fast as possible without flooding the tank (0 residency time). Run your etho amount (was seeing from the other link the a gallon per kilo, I believe). As it leaves the fuge, it keeps looping back into the fuge (using like a keg with bottom drain, top fill) until I’m satisfied that I’ve washed the biomass enough with the saturated etho. After that, redirect the saturated etho to a separate holding tank (I can do a pre-chilled jacketed one).

Swap bags with new material.

Fresh virgin etho.

Run again.

Thoughts on pre-freezing biomass in bags the night before?

I generally recommend:

Put the cannabis in the spinning tube. We assume 10kg for nice round numbers.

Spin the tube up to whatever speed you’ve determined is appropriate for your needs.

First, wash the cannabis many times with solvent. Analytics tell you when you’re done washing. More is better if you’re not sure.

If you’re not at max speed, ramping up to max for a short while before hitting it with the additional solvent is a good idea.

Then, wash approximately 1 L of additional virgin solvent per kg over the biomass. In this case, this would be ~10L.

Spin till dry.

If your solvent tank is approaching being full or to the point where you’re happy with the saturation you’ve got (you DO have in-house analytics, right?) you can send 10L off to your next processing stage.

Stop tube, remove cannabis.

Now put the cannabis in the tube again. Go! Go! Go!

-20°C is good.

The colder your solvent stays, the better. Frozen biomass is definitely not a bad idea.

4 Likes

Much appreciated! I have a -60c freezer to drop the bags in.

Now to track down a pump. In the link I posted above, I have access to like 8 of those. Not sure the specs though. Diaphragm pumps.

Off now tracking down a welder.

Something like this would do the trick. Match the pump curve to your spray ball’s flow rate.

https://www.cpesystems.com/collections/explosion-proof-pumps/products/c216md-centrifugal-pump-assembly-with-explosion-proof-motor-3-7-1-2-hp

4 Likes

I was just looking at those!

Come to find out the diaphragm ones I have access to are 15gpm a minute. The other ones are 17gpm. Once I get this up and movin and bringing in some loot, I’ll look at the other one you posted as an upgrade.

1 Like

Only if all the moisture is basically removed, no?

Is this a custom @thesk8nmidget spray head?

The name is fitting lol

1 Like

If you’re running wet biomass you almost certainly have different extraction parameters of you’re using ethanol.

So yes, that’s correct.

2 Likes

It is now…and for a second or two the guy that customized it was concerned we’d have to cut it apart and try again :shushing_face:

1 Like