Ethanol crystals

What type of equipment are you looking at? I don’t know if my company will go for 30-40K but I’d like to look at my options for fun.

Neat setup! Any growth from this batch?

This particular extract is the terp fraction from another extract that already had the crystals crashed out. It was decarbed and when tested on GC it was found to still have high levels of ethanol. This set up was an effort to remove that residual ethanol.

2 Likes

Left my etoh tincture sitting after filter because roto broke down for a month. Started spd and realized it might have crystallized any thoughts. I saw a post on this but figured I’d atleast throw it up here for science :relieved:

weirdly enough, this has been one of the most helpful post for me so far. lol.

1 Like

Some etho crystals i made in 2016. crashed out of crude, rinsed with cold solvent and recrystallized once

10 Likes

We got some big ass crystals growing with ETHo!

13 Likes

This is isopropyl that I extracted fire trim with. The trim and isopropyl were freezer cold. I did a quick 15 second shake of the material in solvent in a mason jar and then immediately filtered out the trim with mechanical filtration (coffee filters with no paper). after that, The solvent was filtered through a coffee filter with a filter paper to remove smaller particles.

If I evaporate off some isopropyl until it’s syrupy, then get it warm , cap it and put in the freezer, would Diamonds crash out?

I’ve evaporated all the isopropyl with heat previously and ended up with a pull and snap/shatter consistency. This is just for fun with some waste material.

i’m attempting my first crystalization with some etho crude.

i’ve got about 100 grams of winterized crude into about 330 g of heptane. theres about a 1/4 of the jar left empty for headspace… got it in a hot water bath and i’m gonna creep up close to the bp of hept and then tighten the jar and throw in the fridge. then if not any results throw it in the -45c freezer.

am i wasting my time haha? what are your thoughts? would love to refresh this topic and have some more think tank sessions. and or maybe some free spoon throws from the OG’s haha :wink:

either way, i say no because i will learn something out of this little experiment.

A lot of this will come down to the starting material quality and age, the parameters by which the extraction and subsequent solvent recovery process were completed at, the quality and the age of the extract itself, and potentially even any additional processing it might’ve been subjected to.

Do you have analytics on the crude?

2 Likes

You’re using heptane?

Subject at hand was crystallization from ethanol…

Guess that’s qualifies as a topic refresh :thinking:

Using a primary extraction solvent with different affinities than your crystallization solvent isn’t a bad approach.

knowing the purity and state of decarb on your primary cannabinoid would help.

2 Likes

sorry, at first i thought this thread was for Etho crude. then ways to crystalize it. Looking again i can see that its for diamonds formed in purely ethanol.

my co worker brought some c02 crude from trim and sugar leaf that had been winterized with ethanol at -50. rotovap at 35c until no drip… poured into a jar for later use. He then said hey man make half into diamonds and SPD the other half and we’ll make carts.

that being said i took half and homogenized in heptane… it was never decarbed. nor did he get analysis on the crude before i began my post processing.

no analytics on the crude… but it was fresh trim and sugar leaf ( looking at the amber nature of the color tells me it was slightly oxidized though.) from a recent harvest of Runtz and GSC.

i know that it wasnt much of degradation happening because the nose on this crude is mind blowing. so floral and fruity with a hint of pine sap. i wouldnt think the terps would be SO prevalent if things had oxidized too much.

his brother is the grower and he’s only grown grade A indoor for the last 10 years so starting material is good… the only thing i dont know is how he extracted with our IES machine. i asked him the parameters of how he did it and he couldnt remember the temps nor the PSI so theres that :frowning:
wish he would have taken notes but oh well.

it’s not really about oxidation, it’s about decarboxylation. From the smell I guess you can reason out that it was maybe fresher input material, which is great. But THCA decarboxylates at low temperatures in ethanol, so the post-processing of the crude CO2 oil likely caused some decarboxylation. The higher the ratio of THCA:THC in your extract, the easier it will be to make diamonds, so if you’ve significantly decarb’d, you may not be able to make diamonds at all.

In my experience, diamond yield from CO2/ethanol extract is very low. If you want to do half diamonds half SPD, I would set up diamonds with ALL of the extract. Then once you are satisfied with diamond growth, decant the mother liquor, and turn THAT into carts.

2 Likes

yeah my end goal was to separate the ml / hte from the facets and use that into the distillate from the SPD. keep things terpy with no waste potentially. i hope i didnt decarb much from the winterization. i was very delicate purging the etho out so hopefully that turns out to be my saving grace was a low temp recovery

1 Like

Does this prove at all that crystalization can be done in etoh? I would love a way to keep everything in one solvent, not having to recover one and enter another.
I have only read the one post, I’ll read the whole thread to determine if a verdict has been reached.
It would be great if possible.

It definitely can be done with the right parameters.

Thanks for the clarification.
I’m still reading this thread.
This is something I absolutely want to figure out how to do.
It is a hassle making BHO then winterization in etoh then back to butane for crystalization.
There has to be a hotter way that what I am seeing.
I have no idea how difficult it will be to dial in the procedure for etoh. Hopefully not horrible.
I have yet to do an ethanol extraction, that may very well streamline things.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.