Ethanol crystals

Do you carbon filter you extracts?

1 Like

Hot dayum!

I have 15 gallons of ethanol to rotovap. Maybe I’ll set a small jar aside and try my hand at diamond growing

3 Likes

Nope. No post-extraction processing, other than ethanol removal.

8 Likes

What temp do you rotovap at?

1 Like

how much carbon did you use? how many grams of flower went into this extraction?

1 Like

Just some thca using good old ethanol

19 Likes

Nice… Did you crystallize and purge it in a sealed jar or pyrex like this dish?

Thank you

You can Roto-vap at 35 C

i really wish i could share how we got these results but unfortunately i signed an NDA. all i can really say is patience is key, and don’t rotovap ALL the ethanol out lol. btw have you ever made rock candy with a SSS of sugar and water?

12 Likes

I have never actually made rock candy but understand the science behind it. I think I should make some.

If you can share , do you recommend leaving the container capped or uncapped while waiting ?

Thank you for the reply

would you call that diamonds?

1 Like

Sugar. Crystals. Just little…

1 Like

What type of container did you use prior to the jar? Or do you have it in the jar and just cap it when the main bubbling stops?

I was confused during this comment… My comment is butane comment. This is ethanol subject

Disregard anything i said bc it’s off topic

Okay. Thanks

Without violating your NDA… I’m trying to make eth diamonds and I’ve done my extraction at -60 and have a great golden look extract. I then roto vap and leave some eth in and I roto vap at 55 hot bath. Once I add to the jar I seal it tight and then put in vac over at 90F. I am thinking about taking to freezer at -60c for 48 hours and then oven at 90f for 2 weeks. Am I on the right track? Thanks for any info you are able to give.

3 Likes

I got some nasty sulfur rocks and sauce that the company won’t take back nor will they even own the fact that there batch is tainted severely. They gave me a nice discount on the next purchase and handled the hole ordeal very professional aside from the denial .
So just for shits and giggles and a neat lil experiment I’m going to dissolve and introduce fine copper mesh cleaned of course and see if I can’t get the majority out. Then I’m hoping to recess in the solution in a neat lil trick I’ve used in other small batch experiments.

Those two layers look suspect. Is the top layer ethanol?

1 Like

Hello Future Friends, the facility I work at is currently revamping our ethanol Sauce. I don’t really need help with the crystallization aspect of the process because I have a very talented @THChemist working on that portion of the process. What I am more focused on is the Terp fraction that accounts for about 40-60% of the overall leftover material. I am currently trying to get the ethanol off, below 5000 ppm of the over all formulation (state reg), while also decarbing and saving terps. Its my plan to then take these terps and blend them into vape pens for a more flavorful strain specific cart. We have tried hot plate with a stir bar but this beats up my terps so bad that they are a poor excuse for Strain specific.

My current set up is a heating mantle, with a round bottom attached to a reflux condenser. I have a pretty nice chiller that I can set to basically any temp I want. So far I have tried setting the condenser to -5 C, -1 C, and +1 C. I typically heat up the terp fraction to 80 C and allow it to run for about an hour. I have a GCMS that I use to monitor the ethanol levels but as of now I have seen no change in ethanol content. Has anyone else used this type of set up to remove ethanol while preserving terps? Are there other set ups that I could try and rig up to achieve the same goal? Any constructive ideas would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Edit: @Photon_noir @cyclopath @future please help

3 Likes

Do you have a vacuum oven? Thin filming could help. Treat it like you’re trying to make slabs, and you’ll have better luck than with the flask, at least for terp preservation. Maybe @TheLostBiologist could offer some greater detail from the techniques he utilized (utilizes). Decarbing is going to remove terps, no matter what. How long, what method, and at what temperature will determine how extreme those losses will be.

Also, @cyclopath how you gonna like @CannabinoidChemist’s post then not reply? Haha. I know you’ve got something in your head that could help.

2 Likes