Ethanol crumble THC

I think of it as, it should look as good as a hydrocarbon product of the same quality. Once the solvents have been removed, the only difference is that hydrocarbon extracts will still contain all the terps, since they can be purged at lower temps. For ethanol extracts, you gotta add the terps back in. Then, its all about agitation. With hydrocarbons, a lot of the whipping/stirring/pulling gets the solvent out and provides the agitation to cause the product to wax. with ethanol, gotta get the solvent out, then use a bit higher heat to make it pliable so you can get the terps incorporated, then the pull and stretch mixes them in, as well as causing the agitation you need to begin waxing. Then its just wait for the waxing to happen.

1 Like

Are we talking decarbed material or THCA or it doesn’t matter?

This is only for pretty fresh material, making “wax” relies on the THCA, different consistencies are just varying levels of disturbance in a THCA crystal latice, with terpenes throughout.

1 Like

What heat range do you keep your hot plate on ?

Thanks for the help .

How viscous is the material at this stage ? I would imagine very viscous .

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I was a little confused because in your earlier comment you mentioned that you whip before any purge and in this comment you mention that you vac purge then you whip.

Can you clarify please??

BTW I have been able to purge the ethanol much faster than 96 hours for crumble. If you whip with a high speed hand blender in a glass pyrex for 15 - 20 minutes ( once you have removed some initial ethanol) then vac purge between 95-100 F for about 24-48 hours your levels should be very low.

One consideration is that the consistency can be powdery with a high speed hand blender. Also, this aggressive whipping can cause you to loose some terps in addition to the ethanol.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

What do you feel is the best method to add terps to crumble after you are done purging ethanol. Do you have a method to help make sure they get evenly distributed throughout the batch?

Sorry for the confusion man, always refining the tech. I used to whip prior to vac but there were a few times ran into the problem of the oil returning to shatter in vac oven.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. Appreciate it !

1 Like

I’ve been working with eho for a little while now and have come up with some good crumble. Takes time to get the rite teck down but it’s possible.

Hope this helps

10 Likes

Hi G_Boe! Not trying to highjack the thread or anything, but do you think 120-130F @ full vacuum would be sufficient to purge a pot of non-decarb’d EHO? Think of a chilli pot’s worth of EHO, maybe 2-3 inches thick. I am getting significant amounts of residual ethanol in my EHO and am wondering if you think these parameters could drive the rest out. I’m also looking to not decarb the product. Thanks!

I think those temps and vac levels are good, but I would try to get the layer of oil thinner. maybe half an inch thick. That should help you pull the rest of the ethanol out.

Thanks for responding. I will try with half an inch… do you know how long it can be in there at these temperatures before significant decarboxylation occurs?

Why do you suggest this? At the facility I work at we never do this. Our crumble is super flavorful.

1 Like

Probably because literally every EHO I’ve tried was never what I’d describe as flavorful. Most Of them has barely had flavor at all. It’s usually tasted more like THCA powder/crystalline without the terp sauce when dabbed.

2 Likes

Sounds like people don’t know what they are doing where you’re from.

2 Likes

I’ve yet to try good EHO here in CO and I’ve tried a lot. I’m always up to find good extracts. If you know anyone in CO making good EHO I’m always up to try :100:

1 Like

I wish I had somewhere to send you. I work for a MMJ in Florida. With EHO the strain really dictates the concentrate. Some make amazing Shatter and others need to be turned into sauce. EHO sauce is where its at in my opinion. Crumble is very hit or miss but when you find that sweet spot you can get some amazing crumble.

Damn, I’d love to be able to try some good EHO product. I hear it’s out there I’ve just yet to try it. Like I said I try/:dash: A LOT of extracts. So I love finding new good products. An I have my main family is from Ft. Walton Beach and Pensacola :facepunch:.

Sounds like once this Rona is all settled down you gotta make a trip down here to the sunshine state! I don’t doubt you have smoked that fire up in CO. I haven’t tried extract out there but I have bought my fair share of flower and that was a great experience. I currently reside a little further south in the Tampa Bay area.

Definitely gotta make a trip back down once all this craziness settles down.

1 Like