Ennie meeny miny moe: CO2 or BHO?

knew I had more reading to do. thanks

I would consider the Extrakt Lab SFC systems. They are very efficient compared to most SFC system we’ve encountered. Maybe a little less well-known than other companies but we have heard good things from a producer using 6 of their 2 x 20L systems for the past year. Complete extraction of 5 kilos in 120 minute run time at 4000-4500 psi.

If you have the option to use an ethanol extractor like the Delta Separations CUP15 they are more efficient all around and less costly to run.

2 Likes

I agree that Waters look to be appropriately positioned given their deep analytical background.

When I last looked hard at Eden labs offerings, I asked about SCF Chromatography, and the response I got was “we just hired a world expert on the subject. He could design you an add-on…”

The maw on that Azoth machine is impressive!

Is the machine pictured in the first post an Infinity?

1 Like

The machine in the first post is a Druk I believe.

When did you talk to Eden about that last? Just curious cause I haven’t seen them offer anything like that yet but it would be interesting to see what they make.

We have two used waters we’re looking to get rid of if anyone’s interested.

2 Likes

U interested in parting it out possibly? Im building a machine and certain parts would be very helpful but i understand parting it out probably isnt gonna as profitable/easy

Which Waters model?

Have you changed extraction methodology, or just equipment supplier?

(looking for machine recommendations here).

CO2 expanded Ethanol certainly seems to have some major potential wins.

How far are you from a working prototype and how to I get on board?

Are any of the major manufactures looking at this to your knowledge?

It was probably 3 years ago that I last talked to Eden about their CO2 extractors.

Fritz was the only one I talked to that didn’t glaze over at SFC.

However, I ignored the Waters offering at the time, because it didn’t look like a production machine to me.

Has anyone mentioned Vitalis CO2 extractors yet??

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Azoth system could carry out some chromotography in it’s filtration section of the machine. It seemed pretty versatile at the demo I watched. I assume you would just have to switch out your filter with a proper column and program it to run the parameters that you prefer. I only saw it run crude, but it was obvious that it could do sooo much more.

1 Like

I know of a few that are working on CXE but none that are advertising there equipment as a CXE machine yet. Im working on two different design atm an extractor and a purification machine thats designed to purify ethanol extract.

yep both vitalis and azoth are working on CXE even tho i cant find in mentioned anywhere on either site

1 Like

We have two 10L SFE extraction systems. They’re 4 years old, haven’t been on in ages but are in good condition.

We mainly do toll processing in our facility, with a small space left for extraction we couldn’t justify cramming in two waters machines with such a small throughput. They’re not made to be work horses and ran at all times, so they needed constant attention and always needed repairs. But for R&D and other projects they work fine and definitely could be utilized.

We did upgrade to an Eden with 2 20L columns, it takes up half the space, runs smooth, and produces quality material/terps consistently. I would recommend them for sure.

Vitalis and Azoth are top of the line.
Eden/Apex are quality extractors.
Critical Solutions produces good material with the right parameters as well.

Don’t have much info on any others…

7 Likes

Both Azoth & Vitallis responded positively to my enquires re:CXE.

Azoth did so in a manner suggesting they had it in, or near production.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any opinions on IES systems?I am happy with the IES extractor i have been running for a little over 2 years now. Being in Colorado, having a local company to replace parts quickly and effectively has meant that even the couple issues we have had with components have been handled quickly and kept our down time at next to zero.

@TerpFiend wondering if you could share why you’re getting out of the CO2 extraction biz, even though you found your machine an invaluable source of terpenes.

I’m on the CUP bandwagon myself, but was looking at CO2 again because of the terpene capture they can be tuned for. The folks at PSCIO have long held the everybody else was isolating cannabinoids by using the terpenes as their co-solvent.

CO2 expanded Ethanol seems really attractive from here, but it’s still just a smidge over my head. I maybe in the market for a used CO2 machine.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t neccessarily say I’m getting out of the co2 business, just want to explore different methods. :nerd_face:

I’ve been operating an Apeks for the last two years and the unit I currently work on has deteriorated to the point of costly repairs. We considered the repairs but the plan was always to scale up from the current unit. When comparing the various high volume extraction units, the CUP had the most favorable features for a fraction of the price that all the high volume co2 extractors retail for.

Ideally, I’d like to downsize my Apeks to a tabletop unit just for terpenes before running the material through the CUP.

We are selling our Apeks - make me an offer! :rofl:
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/6565936801
Just keep in mind it does need repairs. If your interested, message me and i’ll give you more details.

I still have about 8 weeks until my CUP unit arrives so I’ve been spending more time on R&D. I saw @Plant2pipe’s post about the co2/ethanol extraction and did an experiment myself…

I vacuum sealed stored 2lbs of trim rich in THC and 2lbs of trim rich in CBD(not hemp) in my cryo freezer over night along with my ethanol. I extracted 1lb of each batch in just etoh and the other pound from each batch in etoh+dry ice and got the following results:

1lb Trim (THC) => 6.6% Yield (ETOH only)
1lb Trim (THC) => 6.3% Yield (ETOH + CO2)

1lb Trim(CBD) => 6.1% Yield (ETOH only)
1lb Trim(CBD) => 6.9% Yield (ETOH + CO2)

Got some interesting results but need more consistent data to make any conclusions…

2 Likes

I helped build the pic solution machine while at evolab if you have questions on it or the duplex Apeks.

2 Likes