EHO Color Remediation

In my opinion, extraction should be done as close to cryo as possible, ALL plant matter should be removed at that temperature as well. When it comes to color, I highly doubt the possibility of getting lighter extracts than the @TheLostBiologist tek produces. It seems that all that is necessary are carbon and t5, and possibly a diatamacious earth/celite filter aid. In my experience, activated carbon removes the greens, and t5 removes the oranges.
The easiest way to limit the amount of color in your extract is to not pull any to begin with. This means low temps, and short soak/contact times. The journal article I posted earlier in this thread goes over activated bentonite (t5) and its use in adsorbing anthocyanins (orange color). This journal states that it is most useful at removing orange color at LOW temps, and HIGH contact time. This leads me to believe we are not using bentonite in the most efficient way.
I believe that we are at the limit of ethanol color remediation by use of ethanol as a carrier solvent. Hydrocarbons allow for better color remediation, and more efficient adsorptive interaction, go check out the C.R.C thread.

5 Likes

I’m doing room temp now, cause it’s been shown that you can put 150lbs 15% trim through 15 gal in 10 batches. Can’t do that with cryo.

6 Likes

Renchi right above you is showing incredible post extraction color remediation! If room temp extracts can consistently do that this is exponentially superior to the Tek by the lost biologist

2 Likes

Can you please clarify, Some of the details like bentonite type and alcohol quality? Thanks

I agree, @Renchi’s color does look nice, but that is still too dark for me. I would use that as short path crude, but if trying to make a true EHO, and not just short path crude, that is too dark with too much green for me. The color isnt the only thing that will suffer from warmer washes, more compounds in the crude means a lower starting potency as well.

When I say we can’t get better color remediation, I’m referring to comparable color to the CRC hydrocarbon thread. I enjoy making ethanol extracts, but as soon as hydrocarbons become legal in my state, we will immediately switch to the CRC tek, as I believe that is the only way to get real clear approaching colorless products.

Nice colors have been shown on this thread, but not even close to the colors in the CRC thread. We are dealing with chemical properties of the different carrier solvents, there is only so much we can do by changing the adsorptives if the carrier solvent doesnt allow for efficient adsorption at the active sites.

2 Likes

Ok, i had to finish up the last thing so i could be done. I’ve worked 19 hours straight. Which is the main reason I’m going room temp now. Which, i will clarify, is going to be spd crude. Thus I’m happy with my results.

The bentonite is t5 from carbon chemistry. The carbon is from vacuum dynamics. Magnesol is from Amazon. Silica i got from columbo way back, just found it laying around and tried it instead of celite 545, which I’ve been using otherwise. I use 190 proof organic cane sugar etho.

So i got data from ecodyst where they posted 3 solvents, only naming etho, keeping the other two unnamed. All room temp, the etho was 57% cannabinoids, solvent 2 was 62% cannabinoids and solvent 3 was 52%. So even though the etho was green as fuck it still had 57%. Now the lost biologist had claimed to get 17%. So i ask you, which seems to cut down time and increase yield? Mind you this is for crude, not etho shatter. I’m going to go for a full 50lbs/5 gal once i get more material to run. I’ll get back with deets after that. If you need more clarification, please ask. I hope that helps.

4 Likes

Depending on end product I am starting to look at near room temp as an option. It dosn’t have to take a ton of filtering and the cost savings on the temp side is huge!!

Room temp. Celite w/2.5um, then Alumina Oxide with 2.5um, then Hardwood carbon w/2.5umThis has been sitting out for 2 weeks too, was definitely lighter fresh out the oven oh and it tastes good too! Not super stable but that dosn’t bother me much

before filtration and evap.

Same material ran at cryo w/same filtration (tast is waaaayy better!!!)!

After final flips and oven time. Nice and shiny, super brittle/stable and :yum::fire::fire::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

@Jay-TL
Have you tried layering slurries in the same funnel to just do one filter pass? It’s made things way easier for me doing it like that.

Edit: for shatter it does seem like cryo will get better results from what you just posted. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Btw, someone mentioned they had put 100g bentonite in the 5 gal and kept it overnight, then filtered. Left the bento looking straight yellow. I haven’t tried that out myself yet, but that seems to be the way to go.

2 Likes

I have. Slurries with Alumina and Carbon are crazy slow plus it seems that the Alumina works better if used before carbon. I run 6" pressure filters so time is not too big a deal (15-20gal/hr at cryo temps), I can easily add additional columns to increase my filtrate capacity. The only time I have to do anything is when I pour the collection back into the filter tank to repass. The filter setup Im currently building will take that manual step out completely (I hope).

1 Like

I like the throughput of Renchis method, it may be interesting to dissolve said product and butane and run it through a CRC column.

4 Likes

Dwell times are very important with clays. Heat your bentonite in a little Ethanol (in theory you could use distilled water if you want) stir like crazy so that it dissolves completely. Add to your filtrate stir like crazy then let sit and dwell at least 24hrs. Play around with temp as it sits. Make sure it is fully settled, then filter!!!

1 Like

I agree 100%, it seems that the best bet would be to winterize and remove as many fats/waxes as possible in Ethanol then evap and redissolve in a hydrocarbon of your choice for color remediation. I can’t wait till my city gives hydrocarbons the green light!!!

3 Likes

I’m thinking of disolving the crude in hexane, a hydro carbon, and the run the gauntlet with the filter medias. In theory that could lead to similar results as the bho crc.

7 Likes

Im also interested it sounds like a fun project for a smaller op.

I always opt for heptane over hexane for toxicity purposes.
When I’m doing my distillate runs I go with an etoh crude at -18c, long dwell with greens. Then do a charcoal+bleaching step for 30min in the crude, then heptane for filtering. My first pass distillate is usually a nice gold.

6 Likes

I thought so too, but i believe breaking dabs corrected me and said there wasn’t any toxicity issues with hexane. I have heptane, but i don’t like it so I’m gonna try with hexane. I guess pentane is on the table aswell.

3 Likes

Im reading that everyone seems to be going with carbon. Carbon works great, but thca/thc tend to bond with it. At least that is what i have read. Acrivated alumina will work with reds/pinks. I believe celite or de is great for fats. So that is what i filter with first. Not sure what colors and fines t5 pulls because of its base color being tan. Ill have to revisit what silica 60 and magnesol grab.

1 Like

With carbon as long as you flush the cake with extra etho you will pull what gets stuck in the carbon out. Especially with warm etho.

2 Likes

The hotter you run your carbon scrubs the more of an issue this is. Also you can use neutral carbons to further reduce your losses. @Shadownaught has some amazing carbons that allow users to take advantage of the different affinities acidic, neutral, and basic carbons have with varying compounds. Hopefully he will add to this with more nuanced and technical finesse

1 Like