Dry ice bath for solvent tank...ideas?

oh okay, are quick connects okay on the other ends? thats what im using currently (Extractor end and Tank end)

Convert to compression …. If you unthread these here you can add compression or JIC fittings

1 Like

damnit i edited my last comment by mistake…so compression into the coil, but quick connects are okay on the IN to the tank and OUT from the extractor?

I would remove ALL quick connects from the system…… They are not safe.

6 Likes

Do people chill solvent tanks anymore if using a coil? Was worried about the tane heating up and slowing down recovery.

2 Likes

Ideally yes, the recovery tank should be kept cold.

I never chill my solvent tanks. As long as you’re using dry ice for your coil/condensor, the condensed butane is coming back in the solvent tank at -20C. And I run passively so I empty the entire solvent tank every run, and the solvent returns at -20C. If you’re using 100% butane, and condensing with dry ice, your solvent tank should never go above 0psi. Butane that’s below 0C will produce maybe 1-2psi.
Not saying chilling your solvent tank is bad… just not worth the cost/time/resources to do so. Keep in mind basic Viton gaskets are only rated to -20C.

2 Likes

I love quick comments and wouldn’t run a machine without them, I would actually feel like I was in more danger without quick connects… With that beings said, I would never use them in my hardline loop.

you are also passively recovering and the OP is actively recovering which will produce a lot more heat and i’d bet his tanks are not staying as cold as yours are.

1 Like

W couple coils, and shotgun condenser on the tank I know ud get great speeds. Having a jacketed honey pot w hot water pushing it

Actually passive would bring evaporating vapor at the speed of its KW rating. A pump would only be pumping as fast as the pistons (or diaphragm) heads move. Unless he has a tankless heater and a Corken, he would be throwing more heat energy (KWs) to the condenser/solvent tank via passive recovery.

1 Like