Dry ice bath for solvent tank...ideas?

hey all,
just got hired on for a lab here in NV and need some help. We are running a MiniMEP with a haskel recovery pump with a non jacketed 50lb solvent tank. Ive got our chillers running to their max specs and could still use a little help with recovery. im used to running jacketed solvent tanks and have recently been considering putting the solvent tank in a trashcan with dry ice to chill it down. any suggestions or feedback on this idea?

People do this all the time, its gonna use a lot of dry ice though.

When you say maxing out your chiller do you mean they cannot maintain temps during the runs? reducing any heat load in the system will help reduce the load your chiller is seeing as well. Do you know the temps in your solvent tanks before you fill? if so what are they on the first run vs the rest of the runs?

2 Likes

Add a stainless coil in bucket of DI slurry somewhere inline rather than the whole tank…. Less work, less time, less DI… @FicklePickle may have an idea?..

7 Likes

I have a chilled injection and recovery coil im running at -20 that stays pretty consistent.

ive got a chilled recovery coil on the machine already

is that -20 c of f?

But its only chilling to -20c or f.
Dry ice will be significantly more cooling power than -20c or f.

and if you had the dry ice slurring and stainless coil after your current recovery coil you would be taking a bit of the load off the dry ice allowing it to last longer.

2 Likes

-20c, thats a great point. i have the parts on hand to throw a coil together. I will give this a shot, thank you! so you think a dry ice bath for the tank and a coil in slurry should help?

depending on what coil you have on hand it may be enough on its own.

but you havent really explained exactly what you need help with on your recovery so were kind of guessing and sharing things that will improve your system regardless of the issue.

can you answer this question?

do you have any temp probes in your actual system? readings off a chiller will not tell you what temp the solvent is at, only what temp the fluid running through your chiller is.

Yeah the only reason this question is even being asked is because your only chilling down to -20c. If you recover with dry ice, the tank will be so cold with incoming solvent you’ll never have to chill it. Way cheaper on the dry ice consumption to not chill the solvent tank too

5 Likes

i dont have any temp probes on the system, im trying to recover a little faster and wanted to bounce some ideas off the community here.

you said you have a haskell, whats your air compressor look like? CFMS? and Psi you are currently running at? Almost everyone i have talked to running a haskel is using a vastly undersized air compressor.

2 Likes

regulator is set to 80psi on the haskel, and our current compressor is what looks like 35CFM shared with some other machines in the building, likely way undersized as you said.

1 Like

here’s some pictures of my setup

and whats the smallest part of that airline? for example the smallest component that air flows through is usually the air fitting, i see a lot of 1/2" lines with a 1/4" quick connect thats reduced down to around 3/16" ID

3/8" would be the smallest line, actually it would be the Brazil Vac line on the MEP

like this?

2 Likes

You will not recover at any decent speed with that 2-3KW Julabo heater. You usually need at least 4kw for 1lb/min recovery with 100% butane. And NEVER use quick connected on liquid areas like the coil. The seals on the Quick Connect will never handle liquid temps.

7 Likes

wow, great advice…thank you!

No problem. Im not on here much so its great to help when I can!

1 Like

Yes…. minus the quick connects

1 Like