Drought Stress, what does the current science say? What are your thoughts?

It would depend on your grow methods, labor and money. Rockwool is cleaner than Coco, quicker to setup after runs and less labor intensive. Yes it’s more expensive in initial cost but because everything I named earlier I believe is where some of it’s strengths lie.

Dtw is simpler and easier than recirculating system and way less in cost. I’ve looked at systems and for our size I would need to spend 30k on a system to capture all the run off from tables, dehumidifiers and hvac. That’s definitely on the Christmas list though.

Clay pebbles are cheap and can be reused. I used them a couple years in the past and it’s not worth it in my opinion. They are heavy and hard to clean roots off them. God forbid you knock a pot over. When not in use you have to store hundreds of pots worth of pebbles.

For home or small scale clay pebbles can work however i don’t think they have better moisture control than Coco or rockwool. Use of any water content sensors would be difficult as well

1 Like

Ok yeah that makes sense if you run to waste + large scale i’m only a hobby grower use 2in net pots in the ebb/flo to veg then into nft channels so little waste but i see your point regarding recirculating on commercial scale things could go wrong v.fast without backup pumps an regular maintenance/