Do the TRS21 Vacuum pumps sound louder and louder over time?

I just changed the head on one of my two TRS pumps so now the one that didn’t get a head replacement is noticeably louder. But that one has less than 100 hours on it since it’s last head replacement. I’m wondering if I ruined that head a couple months back when I mistakingly put vacuum pump oil directly on the pistons thinking it would help. I’ve since cleaned it off, twice, but they ran about 10 hours total with the oil on there.

I have been running the TSR now for a little while, and I hate it! Worst pump I have ever used. So it sounds like you need to replace the pistons as well. The TSR’s are only meant to be run for 25 hours or so before they need to be opened up, checked, and cleaned. We use terpenoid to clean the pieces and then use a paper towel to wipe it off. This usually works great as long as you make sure to clean off the oil and/or whatever you might be using to clean your pumps. Definitely don’t oil the pistons, you shouldn’t need to oil anything really once you get it all cleaned. Order yourself some replacement pistons and a new head and give it another shot. Also, what kind of machine are you using? If you’re not careful, you could be pulling oil through into your pump due to high PSI on your recovery.

2 Likes

Dude thanks so much :handshake:
I’m using a terpenator mk4c

4 Likes

Of course brotha, I know what a pain those pumps can be. Ok, so I am gonna assume you’re using butane heavy if not all butane for your runs? If so, then you’re probably good and don’t need to worry about sucking oil through. I use all propane for my runs and if I kick my psi over 50 on my recovery, the pump sucks oil through the hoses and eventually it makes it into the pump and seizes the pistons. But you should be good if you’re just running butane. :fist:

1 Like

I’m running 70/30 butane/propane. Yes I’ve noticed if the psi in the collection pot gets over 25 psi the recovery pumps will start shutting off. So I just vacuumed the whole system down last night to -24inHg and when I checked it this morning there was no vacuum at all. So it’s obvious now there is a leak in the system and this has most likely been the main cause of such poor recovery rate (50%). I’m going to take apart the whole system and clean everything real well and put new teflon tape on.

2 Likes

Yeah man, damn pumps are finicky. Ah, there you go, leaks will definitely kill runs! Glad you found it, hopefully that combined with a few pump repairs will ensure smooth runs from then on out. Well, until you need to pull the pump apart again lol. I will also say that, I have noticed that the TSR pumps lose a significant amount of gas no matter what kind of fixes or repairs you do to them. I used my gas sniffer and pinpointed the leak at the front plate along the seams that runs down along the sides of the front plate, and all the way down to that little hole on the bottom of the front plate. And by front plate, I mean that plate that you have to take off with an Allen wrench to access the pistons. We bought two new pumps to test this theory and sure enough, straight out the box they leak so badly it reaches unreadable levels for my gas sniffer. Another thing I noticed is that, the more you repair and maintenance those pumps, the more they seem to leak… They’re just shitty pumps overall man. If you have the means, you should look into a Haskel system, or the next best thing, the CMEP-OL. The Cmep doesn’t require the expensive buildout that using a Haskel system would require, that’s where we are at until we can afford the proper air buildout to house the Haskels.

Pump sounds like a damn marching band I swear

1 Like

I remember people on a different thread were just absolutely shitting on the TRS21. I don’t do active but… Shit from what I’ve read on this forum I think I would save up for a CMEP-OL if I did.

1 Like

The pnumatics are loud too! like duling freight
Trains with the air compressor as the Conductor!

4 Likes

which is why the pumps and the compressor both get their very own sound proof closets…

4 Likes

after doing this test, I learned that the trs21 pumps do not hold vacuum while off overnight and I didn’t close the valves on the collection pot so the test was pointless. But I found out which pump was responsible for the low recovery rate through process of elimination. For now I’m just using one TRS21 pump and getting over 80% recovery rate.

I’m so glad I read this, I thought I was going crazy because my sniffer was going off like crazy all around the pumps too! that little hole in the front! I know exactly what you’re talking about. And I agree about the more I try to repair them the more they seem to leak. So you think only 25 hours before they need to be opened and cleaned huh? geez that probably explains their poor performance, I unknowingly ran them for a total of 40 to 60 hours probably.

I got 2 cmepol that were just rebuilt and have no hours on them if your interested. I also have the wayer cooled radiator attachment for them. The trs21 are really loud and requires alot of cooling on the back side

1 Like

Where are you with those cmepol’s @Concentrated_humbold?

how much you want for 1

I tried the TRS600 because I had learned on an Appion and thought I needed a pump. After only 4 small runs I noticed my sniffer going off and it was leaking from the pump. I feel like I wasted 900 bucks, but I did learn and am doing passive now.

2 Likes