Do cannabinoids float on water ?

Im so confused here, ive always seen thc sink over time when mixed with water.
If u put a drop of disty in water it floats??
I can mix thc with heptane, mix that with water and it will float, but as the top heptane layer evaporates the thc ends up sinking, what stays floating on top is ehat i believed to be thc with heptane that couldnt quite fully evaporate.

4 Likes

It’s the same process when you’re making a tincture with 151. As you evaporate off the the alcohol it will begin to “louche” and turn cloudy because the alcohol evaporates faster than the water. This will leave globs of cannabis resin floating throughout the liquid and they will grow then sink to the bottom. Your liquid will get cloudy but then clear up as you keep evaporating as it’s mostly water by that time. Finish boiling off the water and you’re left with RSO. You should still have the same potency as when you started. If you were making a tincture you would then add enough fresh alcohol to meet your goals or oil/butter/etc for edibles. You can visualize it from the 45 minute mark until the end. You’ll be able to see the louching and beyond. yeux3

3 Likes

I would like to build on my post above and bring up a little known property of the louche effect. Most people think of the visual properties as with the “ouzo effect”, the sudden milkyness of the liquid when the hydroscopic essential oil dissolved in alcohol is mixed with water at a certain ratio.

The reaction you get, that cloudiness, is the actual “effect”. It creates a spontaneous emulsion which increases bioavailability and brings a rapid onset sometimes within minutes. That’s why the “ouzo effect” is so well known. It’s the rapid punch that it brings. The same is true for cannabis oil which is a hydroscopic essential oil. It’s not well understood how this happens but it is used in the food service/beverage industry. I have been studying this for a while in the belief that if properly utilized it could reduce the influence of sugar dominated syrups. While I work with syrups because of the bioavailabiity, I’m an old schooler who prefers the natural way to do things instead of falling back on sugars and additives if at all possible.

If you look at the reaction as it happens you can see the violent action going on. It seems to push out the waxes leaving the cannabinoids behind. I have an initial project that explains and illustrates my thoughts. Unfortunately, my video capabilities were down at the time I documented this so I only have pictures and my written commentary to use. I won’t clutter up the thread with unwanted info so I’ll just link the initial post here if anyone wants to discuss it. I had been planning a thread on this subject but I have to read, read, read more more more and have my testing lined up. I find it a fascinating subject and a natural phenomenon with Green Dragon tincture as the active ingredient. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

If interested:

3 Likes