Diy chiller thermostat?

Got my nice diy chiller running this summer, was working great until this weather changed, now my shop is cold and (I think) the thermostat on the ac unit is preventing the compressor from kicking on.

How do you get the compressor to stay on?
Is there an easy way to bypass the thermostat?
Do you just keep the probe warm? If so, what’s the best way?

(And yes I’ve read for hours on this forum about diy chillers, can’t find a solution to this issue.)

Hardwire the compressor switch to controller.

2 Likes

You can certainly wire the compressor directly to a cheap temperature controller from eBay, just make sure to keep the capacitor in the circuit or the compressor will not start and will burn itself out trying. Make sure the power rating on the relays in the temp controller you use can handle the inrush current starting the compressor requires.

3 Likes

as noted elsewhere.

it does work. until it doesn’t. because your glass of water got cold.

the thermostat cuts the power. you can replace it with a switch, or a wire nut.

or you could go the kinder gentler route and install one with a different temperature range as @rkcolorado suggests.

probably something here you could use: https://www.grainger.com/search/hvac-and-refrigeration/a-c-refrigeration-and-supplies/refrigeration-equipment-and-accessories/refrigeration-controls?ts_optout=true&searchQuery=thermostat&categoryIndex=4

1 Like

I tried bypassing the thermostat, didn’t work. So I bypassed the switch next, didn’t work. So I tried a bunch of the connections coming to the switch. Also didn’t work. AC won’t chill anymore, think the compressor burnt out? Idk. Gonna just order a new one then stick the thermostat in a seed mat/warming mat.
Kinda sucks. But whatever, story of my life.

Usually there is a high pressure cutout switch (which should NOT be bypassed), if you had air leak into the evaporator you may be tripping that out.

Ranco. Every chiller I’ve used had these wired in with a probe taped to the discharge. 24v is required to power it and then it will be your end switch to ac compressor to turn on. They are digital and mine runs at 50 degrees through fan coil. Not sure how low they go tho

1 Like

It was a brand new ac. No leaks in it.
I rewired all the knobs and switches back the original way and it doesn’t work anymore (fan works, but it doesn’t cool anything). Think I fried something.

OK. I’m thinking it might have had an issue before I tore into it.
Has anyone had a diy chiller that froze over then stopped working? It had an enormous amount of ice on it when it was running, maybe it broke itself?
Do I gotta keep things thawed out while it’s running? (Other than the glycol mix ofc)