Distillate x MCT, max bioavailability

I think turmeric takes it to the next level. Also doesnt nano hit harder too?

1 Like

I’ll research turmeric thanks. Nano is double edged, some say yes but some say we don’t know the consequences of it footing through our body, also wouldn’t know where to get a sonic emulsifier

1 Like

You can make a tincture below 1:1 but it will separate over time as you’re over saturating the MCT oil. If you want to mix a gram of distillate with a lil MCT just to increase the biouptake and then take it immediately, that would work but it won’t be a tincture so much as a sloppy gram.
Turmeric and ginger do help, but some people’s bodies don’t react well to intense root extracts, so I tend not to recommend unless I’m face to face.
And yes Nano is best, but the average person can’t do that and it’s expensive to buy. And honestly, unless it’s for a beverage, it’s a pointless task.

4 Likes

That’s good to know, thank you. You’re right, for a tincture that’d be key, I guess I’m not going for a tincture really with the end result.

Once I have the base solution down I’ll turn it into a water soluble powder on stage 2. Once it’s powder the oil will not separate from the MCT so really I’m just looking for the most potent with carrier that has the least amount of volume. I’m trying to keep the powder dosage condensed to fit into caps.

I’ve also read somewhere else on the forum of using a pharmaceutical carrier that’s used for prescription drugs to increase bioavailability, was considering that as well.

2 Likes

I know what carrier you’re speaking of and I will just suggest caution. If you’ve read about it on this site, then it likely was followed by the specific cautions to be aware of. I’m not qualified to speak on that since I’m not pharma, just a plant chemist.
I think I misunderstood your intentions when answering your original question. If you’re making it water soluble then finding a substance that is both polar and non-polar absorbant like butter would be best. Melt it under low heat, mix in the isolate, cool it and cap it. If you mix it well there should be no clumps, which might happen if you use an MCT oil.
I guess you’re asking more along the lines of what base has the highest bioavailability with the smallest volume. I couldn’t tell you based on the massive varieties of oils that haven’t been widely tested w/ Cannabinoids yet, but from a chemistry perspective I think butter would be your cheapest and simplest option if you’re not going commercial with it.

1 Like

I have read suggestions at least that an mct oil solution of cbd can have an increase in bioavailability if the oil is put through several cycles from freezing to about 180F. The theory is that the medium chain mct will encapsulate the long chain cbd.

Obviously chemistry is not my background, but I wanted to throw out that idea to see what the great minds here think about it.

2 Likes

Curcumin extract from turmeric definitely did for me when I was taking it and chewing black pepper. It also nearly wrecked my liver pretty quickly too. Was a surprising test result at my routine physical when everything else was in check. 2 months after discontinuing curcumin and I’m nearly back normal although still have elevated enzymes, something I never had before curcumin.

2 Likes

Why was it bad for your liver? I’ve only read that if it’s organic then shouldn’t be a problem to take daily

I’ve gotten heart burn from curcumin extracts which is often a side effect associated with elevated liver enzymes. I’ve never looked into this being a common side effect. Curcuminoids have so much tech that people are neglecting

That’s because curcumin is a cannabimimetic.

Curcumin and piperine are both hepatoprotective according to the literature.

Correct, they are considered antihepatotoxic. Curcumin is nothing without piperine(black pepper). The piperine increases the bio-availability of curcumin x 2000. So if taken with MCT/CBD, some of are of the mind that the CBD bio-availability will increase with the curcumin & piperine. The curcumin w/piperine should be absorbed into the bloodstream before it gets to the liver. That’s the beauty of curcumin w/piperine. If you’re taking curcumin without piperine there is a very good chance your AST and ALT(liver enzymes) could be elevated up to and higher x 100. I’ve seen it happen.

1 Like

Ive been making THC infused “lean” syrup, and want to give it extra kick, how much curcumin and piperine should i use per bottle? I plan to get pure 95% extracts of both and blend them into my base tincture. I make batches of 250x 2oz bottles at a time, ~1000mg of distillate per bottle.

2 Likes

@Dr_Jebril has shared solid numbers for CBD in MCT and I think there are numbers for THC around here as well.

CBD is not soluble in MCT above about ~330mg/ml and will eventually crash out above that.

I’ve certainly made THC in MCt at 400mg/ml and heard tell of 500mg/ml in palm kernel oil for formulating edibles.

did you try Search results for 'THC MCT solubility' - Future4200

I did, but only dug as far as

@Akoyeh?

The highest concentration I have formulated is 440mg/ml CBD in MCT, and it was made with lightly polished crude. I cannot speak to the shelf stability much, as the tincture was consumed by the patient within a month. There were no complaints of anything falling out of suspension, and I made that concentration for a patient until they passed.

3 Likes

If anyone can send me how to make distillate syrup large batches I’ll pay anyone who can do this for me thanks

Indeed, using crude with good waxes, one can reach somewhere around 47% without issues.

Surfactants and emulsifiers aside, is this ratio you found applicable for nano-encapsulations as well?

I’ve gotten great results with 3:1, MCT:distillate and 2:1, MCT:isolate.

Bumping this old thread to ask a question about tinctures. I had some CBD dissolved in MCT (5g to 25ml) that turned purple after a long time (6 months.) Is this from the fatty acids in MCT? Whats weird is that it didn’t happen to every tincture I made.

It’s likely oxidation or degradation of the cannabinoids not the carrier oil.

Did you have the product in a clear container by chance?

1 Like

Yes they were, sounds like that could be the culprit. I was worried that the CBD could be isomerizing to THC but i don’t think MCT is acidic enough for that.