Greeting…

I did distillation by Chinease SPD , setting parameter as below :
Evaporator temp 185C
Condenser temp 80C
Cold trap temp -50C
Vacuum about 320-450 micron
Wiper speed 180Hz ( Machine can set max.400
Residual jacket temp 90C

Distillate oil color is ok, % CBD from Lab tested is 73%, but after 1 night, about 90% of oil become to crystal!!
I did repeatedly 2-3 time , all time Distilate oil become
to crystal.
(upload://w8oqHaFvWXzrnIMteMI34Mb4Y8D.jpeg)

3 Likes

Looks like it worked.

5 Likes

How to prevent crystallization? Is it due to the distillation process?

Anything above 50% cbd is going to want to crystallize

9 Likes

That’s your answer. Cbd distillate will almost always crystallize.

7 Likes

I think some people have achieved your goal with ph adjustments, or adding other minors, but that’s not really my thing. Try looking into crystal resistant distillate.

2 Likes

Thats what it does

5 Likes

Thanks, can you tell me if there are other factors that accelerate the crystallization?

Purity.

3 Likes

"Try looking into crystal resistant distillate. "Thanks, can you give me some advice on what to use?

Sorry, I don’t really work with cbd products. I just recall some people saying you could stabilize distillates by either protonating or deprotonating your cbd prior to it crystallizing. There are definitely much more versed members on here that could help you find the solution you’re looking for.

2 Likes

ok thank

Welcome! Much to read :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reason you are getting crystallization is the high purity of the product, which mean you’re doing a good job.

If you’re looking to create some crystallization resistance…there are several examples on this website that suggest using minor cannabinoids (specifically CBC) in the mixture.

6 Likes

Or just dont debarb … add some cbda

6 Likes

Thanks, I will do testing and update.

ok Thanks ,I will do testing.but if dot decarb., cbd purity on distillate oil will be reduced ?

Yes, and no. On HPLC it will be reduced, on GC it’ll look about the same.

Same thing with adding minors, and ph adjusting can have its caveats too.

The point is you can’t really have a stable cbd distillate that won’t crystallize if you have sufficient purity.

3 Likes

yep. that is the expectation.

1 Like

Why?

What is your actual goal?

Having not understood the process well enough to expect this before undertaking it, are you actually certain you need avoid it to achieve your goals?!?

What you call a bug, many would call a feature. Once crystallized you can separate the CBD from the THC, resulting in an internationally shippable product.

73% CBD is not great for distillate, one can hit that with crude without too much effort.

What are your THC numbers like? Do you have a market for distillate with that much THC in it?

See eg: Free (BUT OLD) Hemp Biomass-to-Isolate SOP (complete) using cryo EtOH, wiped film dist., with C7 (re)crystallization

If your goal it selling CBD distillate by the liter, having it NOT crystallize would potentially be problematic…

If you’re heading to carts, there is a ton of information around here to get you on your way…

3 Likes