Diffusion Pump operation

Dry ice is fine. Diffusion is only for doing main body removals from the residue. Dont use it on your terp strips

4 Likes

I’m curious if anyone has any idea how much oil to put into a diffusion pump? I could email Lab1st, but I figured I’d probe here first. The unit is on a stainless SMD-01. I have some pictures I took last night of it disassembled. It looks filthy inside and the oil was THILCK! I tried cleaning with etoh, but will try acetone. I really need to know how much oil to put in there. I don’t trust measuring the nasty fluid that came out. My thoughts were to make sure that the heater in the bottom was covered and didn’t run dry, but open to suggestions!

1 Like

:popcorn::cup_with_straw:

This is next on my list…

1 Like

I put 25 mL in my Lab1st diff

This volume is usuallt just enough to submerge the heating coils.

1 Like

It wouldnt hurt to reach out to Lab1st since the amount of oil is very specific. Too much or too little will either make it not work properly or damage the pump. If you cleaned inside of there with solvent just be sure to totally dry it out since any volatiles will mess with the performance or mess up your freshly changed oil. Sometimes with fresh diff oil I need to (under vac) turn the diff pump on and let it heat up to degass/devol the oil…then I turn off/cool down before I can turn it back on and expect it to perform.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a different diffusion pump on the glass one I’m running, but yeah it doesn’t seem like much oil at all. Works fine being at a super low level for me though, and I swap it every few uses (3-4x).

3 Likes

I will be doing a full tear down and cleaning today. I’ve been watching videos on YouTube about pump oil change and it looks as if a lot of them are using around 30mL. I’m gonna keep digging and see what I can turn up.

Yeah dude that’s basically the same pump! Do you fill it to just above that “thermowell” in the bottom? What oil do you use? I picked up some 702 as I heard it’s good for most use cases.

No it’s only like halfway up the side of that actually

The diffusion oil I’m using is Midest Tungsten Service MT-705

1 Like

Its really hard to kill a diffusion pump, ive had the worst techs run them into the ground. Since its just fins and oil and no moving parts, so long as you can scrub it and wash the fins, one cannot really break a diff pump.

See my exact same model filled with terpene char and whats left of the diff oil. Gave it a scrub and it was back to new.

3 Likes

Hmm. I’m gonna need to read up more about the differences in the oils. Anyone know offhand? I’m guessing it doesn’t really matter, but I am curious.

1 Like

From Chemtech services inc (translated from comic sans):

If the system is to be equipped with a diffusion pump, attach the KF50/40 reducer to the
bottom port of the KF40/16 cross already attached to the vacuum manifold (assembly
described above). Attach the KF50 port of the air cooled diffusion pump to the KF50 port of
the KF50/40 reducer using the KF50 centering ring and KF50 clamp supplied with the
diffusion pump. To the outlet of the air cooled diffusion pump, attach the KF16 bellow hose
using the KF10/16 centering ring and KF16 clamp supplied with the pump.
NOTE: Prior to installing the air cooled diffusion pump, it is necessary to fill this pump
with about 30 ml of appropriate diffusion pump oil.
This is normally done right
before connecting the air cooled diffusion pump to the KF50 port of the
KF50/40 reducer as described above. The oil is normally added through the
KF10 port ON THE SIDE of the pump. ONCE CHARGED WITH OIL, THE AIR
COOLED DIFFUSION PUMP MUST REMAIN IN AN UPRIGHT POSITION.

@MedicineManHempCo 30mL

3 Likes

This is the correct answer for diffusion pumps.

2 Likes

Different oils reach different vapor pressures, the oil you use is based off the performance of your pump and how low of a vacuum you want to reach

4 Likes

Thank you @eyeworm, @EHO_AZ, @NewLevelProcess, @Zoraku, @Kingofthekush420! You guys rock! I will be cleaning it up and filling it afterwhile. I was able to achieve <200micron vac with just my Alcatel 2021i, but I am super interested to see what she’ll suck down to with the help of the diff pump. My dry scroll is on the way and I cannot WAIT to get that puppy integrated!

3 Likes

Single digits bb

2 Likes

Here is an article I found from Midwest Tungsten that talks about the differences in detail and seems to breakdown exactly what you said. It seems that 705 would yield a lower vac level but costs more.

https://www.tungsten.com/blog/differences-in-diffusion-pump-fluid

I bought the 702 because it was cheaper, but I didn’t realize how little would be used per charge. At ~30mL/charge, it would only cost 4.75$/charge for 702 and 6.02$/charge for 705. This is factored at the 16oz price without shipping included. What are you guys paying? I bought from:

1 Like

Dont get terpenes in a dry scroll, if you do the vacuum wont be as good and youll have to take it apart to maintenance it. Dry scrolls are cool but i like being able to flush a pump with clean oil and fix the vacuum levels. The dry scrolls ive used had large cfm and good vacuum till they got gunked up with terpenes

2 Likes

Funny i use the 705 and got it from the guys you posted above on ebay

2 Likes