Destruction of crude in ethanol for regulations

Hey I have a quick question, what is an effective way to denature cannabis oil in ethanol slated for destruction? I have to conform to regulations in my jurisdiction and dry cannabis destruction no worries, incinerate. But due to solvent recovery restraints I need an effective way to denaturing and rendering the cannbis oil in ethanol ineffective and agreeable to regulators. Was thinking acidifying but it would only likely convert to CBN and stay here, still a cannabinoid.

Any thoughts appreciated.

you are then sending it off to have someone else recover the solvent?

as opposed to burning it? or recovering the solvent yourself?

I would assume any of the chemicals used to denature alcohol would be appropriate. Although they wont actually stop anyone from getting high off the thus poisoned tincture.

I assume the state has already designated this tincture as unfit for consumption. The state should also define how they expect you to wreck it before destruction. at least if pressed on the matter.

I agree that actually wrecking the cannabinoids would be ideal (spirit of the law).

1 Like

The regulations are for in house at the end of the day if we have too much cannabis in process that is over our vault limit. Also I’m in Canada so much different regulations. Here they simply state vague requirements and it’s up the company to decipher and comply. It’s a philosophical exercise as much as it is a creative one which is why so many consultants like myself get work. However there are those little sticky regs that go over my head on how to deal with specific situations.

My answer was solvent recover, but Health Canada requires a measure to destroy cannabis in a pinch. You know because it’s radio-fucking-active :rage:

1 Like

OMFG!

destroy it because you have too much? Then set it on fire in the parking lot!

call it a protest.

EDIT: or maybe take a look at this

I’ve got some failed RSO in MCT around here that is supposed to go in the fuel tank of my mercedes at some point…

2 Likes

Right now, in Colorado, I have to use either soil or bleach or a blend of the two to render the product “unusable” and “unrecognizable”. My preference is the soil only method.

2 Likes

Yuck, I’m glad we can still compost!

@Soxhlet, dude, it kills me. Regs are regs but some of the stuff goes against common sense, IMO.

Funny story, probably the funniest thing I’ve seen come of all this, was the time a homeless guy broke into our dumpster. This poor guy thought he had hit the jackpot, tore open a big bag full of trim and was literally jumping for joy (We watched it on the cameras the following day). Yes, it had soil mixed in, but he thought he had just found like 20lbs of trim and I’m sure separating it was going to worth while in his eyes. I only wish I could’ve been there to see the look on his face when he realized it was all post extraction and had virtually no cannabinoids. What a let down… but also karma for busting up our dumpster! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Autoclave?

Ah man! :rofl:

Store it in methanol. It is completely unusable and is poison. If needed also you can take aluminum oxide and disolve soak the aluminum oxide with the solvent and compound. Then let dry. It is only usable as sand or abrasive at that point until the cannabinoid is washed off and alumina is completely inert.

Or if you add ethyl acetate to it in sufficient quantity to render it undrinkable it would be denatured in the context of this post. It evaporates off well and is fairly harmless to humans except the fume can be a problem in closed places.

1 Like

sandpaper! here I was thinking that it was only good as a jar sealant.

1 Like

That happened at the trap so many times back in the old days. Homeless guys makin bank off blasted nugs!

This is kind of on topic: whats the best way to compost or dispose of 30 thousand lbs of already ran trim? I have a big property but not sure if having a huge pile like that makes sense. Maybe bury it with a tractor?

with that much waste biomass you should seriously consider using it for powering your reclamation stills. or see if you can convince someone else to use it.

I’ve heard talk of folks feeding spent biomass to live stock. I’ve actually had someone approach me looking for biomass. no clue if it’s a viable option. haven’t done the analysis to know what exactly we’re leaving behind.

but it should catch fire just fine. :slight_smile:

edit: Soil Remediation and biomass energy

1 Like

You should see if you can generate bio methane with the large piles.

1 Like