deciphering all this glassware + putting together first SPD setup

ahh, i see it in my head now… i quick google search of some kf25 to barb, and the kf25 cross painted the picture for me now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey man. So I began constructing my kit as your diagram, and first problem I ran into was the first recieving flask is too close to the mantle and won’t fit. Second problem is the 2nd flask is too close to the first flask lol. I found some female to male extenders, would this be sufficient or can it cause some sort of unwanted result by extending the tube. A vigreaux column would fix the first flask issue by making it higher up. I included a pic of the second flask kind of tilted to fit without an extender but I assume they both have to be completely straight. Any suggested site to get good quality extenders?

Just for a picture reference

SX385

I’m pretty familiar with that type of setup up. We had that exact setup at my last job, just never got around to using it. So a head, cow, and cold trap seem to be my upgrades

Yeah its not going to be an issue if u just extend that portion, make sure i have a heat gun ready just incase the third one being in dry ice slows the flow too much.
For the connection between the first flask and second flask, i would just make it a short liebig condenser if ur not gonna get a new head. Your not gonna want to baby that spot the whole 6 hours ur distilling. The second and third flask wont be an issue because the heads will only show up when ur there heating the system up and getting ready for main body. Once u hit main body u should be able to walk away and not worry about it, that wont be the case if u always have to heat gun the part between flask 1 and 2.
Cows are a more fragile piece of glass compared to a distribution adapter. I prefer the way u have it now, collect heads in last flask, flip middle flask when ur collecting main body, and leave tails in the boiling flask.

1 Like

Ahh, thank you for that tip. am I understanding right that the condenser in between flask 1 and 2 is for hot water? You mentioned not wanting to heat gun it all day

Yeah that condenser is going to be for hot water, prererably mineral oil so u can go higher than 100c in the future if ur pump is good for that. The second condenser wont need anything but room temp/cold water circulated through it.

When installing one of those right angle valves on a vacuum system, is it best to have it inline with the vacuum tube and flow of air, or should it be installed on a Tee or 4 way KF fitting? In other words, should the valve open and close the flow of air pulled by the vacuum or should it be setup to let fresh air into the system thereby decreasing the vacuum when opened?

2 Likes

You dont want to introduce air into the system, the valve directly throttles the vac linr between system and pump.
I have a SS hose that comes up from the pump (on the floor) and through the table. That is connected to the right angle valve, then from the valve i have a T connection. One side of the T is for the vacuum sensor and the other side is another SS hose that goes to the system. So your vacuum readings always read from the system and you are controlling the sucking force of the pump by throthling the valve.

3 Likes

hey brother… would you be so kind to maybe point me out to a proper liebig condenser to use as the spacer between the first two flasks? i cant seem to find a 100mm one… just want to see what you might suggest. 24/29 sized glass

now that im looking, it seems i dont see a 24/29 male to 24/29 female extender… care to suggest both the extension piece and the liebig condenser?

Would this suffice as an extender or would it cause some weird reaction given the path to go up? I still have to find a short liedberg condenser.

Yeah those 100mm go quick on ebay whenever i see them. That extention would work just fine for the second extention u need, just make sure its facing up. 200mm liebig will work fine for the head condenser, u may need to raise your mantle a bit if the angle is too steep.

Fyi 24/29 joints and 24/40 are compatible with each other, u just cant use the clips properly

1 Like