Decarboxylation under Vacuum?

What are people’s experiences with how agitation affects the rate of decarb? Because the CO2 from decarb goes right into solution, the oil basically gets carbonated and needs to be released. Vacuum in a rotovap only goes so far as it does not generate enough shear stress on the oil like a stir rod or bar would do.

For our process we do not need to fully decarb, but just enough so that there isn’t excessive bubbling when filling carts. Temps need to be low as even 130C can cook our oil, turn it cloudy, and gel up. Between a rock and hard place…

That’s what ive found in my experience, i do the decarb and volitales removal in the roto. After winterizing and filter down to 1 micron as the final filter size. I do 1 room temp filter through 10-3 micron in my bel art then freeze for at least 24hrs then filter in a stainless buchner with a 4 micron with a 1micron and a bed of celite. Then into the roto

5 Likes

Hari Krishna!

Have you noted how many misuse viscosity?

The aspie in me couldn’t help it…

2 Likes

Time and patience

How do you make a soda go flat?

Extracts are much thicker then carbonated drinks so yes; agitation, heat, vacuum, and time are your options.

You can activate the thca through pressure. Converting the thca into thc. Is that along the lines of what you are attempting?

A good reactor will have a strong agitator on it and you can easily de carb/deterp winterized oil on its way into distillation

do you have the whole paper to share?

Do you have an idea what pressure and length of time is required?

It really depends on the end purpose of the oil

Ok so take a 1.5" spool and one endcap with a ball valve ptfe lined
Ad 5 grams of bho and 2 grams of butane cap the spool
Place spool in oven at 90. -125 C
And decarb for 30 min
Pressure inside the spool by heated butane will not exceed 375 psi
The 13% decarboxilate released CO2
Should on this volume not make much diffrent
But one could weigh on gram of dry ice and cap the tube to see what that does to pressure
Some one should realy do this

1 Like

makes bomb terps huh? :thinking:

or at least it should…

2 Likes

The test is so simple I don t have a frigin spool that fits the oven

3 Likes

@downtheterphole
Wich gas laws come into play dooing this that I am not aware of ?

3 Likes

Question here.

If using a roto vape - re501. After solvent is removed, would it not be possible to turn the motor so the flask is standing straight up. dont turn on the motor, Vacuum On, and set your heating mantle underneath then decarb with spinbar

just a thought i had, and have never seen it mentioned. Would leave out the need for using oil in the roto bath plus having to re program the unit to go higher in temps.

Edit: Condenser would move along with setting the motor downwards, so my thought would not work :frowning:

but maybe it would be possible to add an adapter, possible a bellow hose could fit on the motor, and david could make a custom PTFE fitting with a male port to go in the condenser, triclamp it together.

A vertical rotovap… That’s an interesting idea and having a stir bar stirring the opposite way from which it’s spinning… Huh… I’d love to see that

1 Like

You would have to have a smaller amount to account for the “foaming” when decarbing. Spinning it negates that fact, i have a 5l i use for decarb and can easily decarb 3.5L in it in anout 35-45 minutes. When i stop my flask even with 2l in there it will “bump” up the vapor path until i start the spinning again

… Bump trap?

No need to add anything else to create a less efficient process.

Does a re-501 have to be reprogrammed to hit decarb temps?

I feel like an oil bath is potentially also a mess from possible product contamination when pouring the crude out. would be kinda neet to have a dry setup

Look up lab armor beads for a dry set up.

1 Like